Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Tis why I’m hiding in the house today; venturing out every two hours to check the water and fans for the horses.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I feel your pain - it's awful here. I vacillate between thinking it's too hot to run, and feeling like a wuss for thinking that.

I wish I were one of my ducks, so I could be on the water all day long.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
We're sitting on 97, but the smog is terrible. Really, and only half in jest, they're recommending that you limit your breathing today (meaning don't run or exercise outside).

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I hate to sound unsympathetic - because that weather is brutal - but I work in Houston - that's pretty much our weather every day. :p

This is what siesta was invented for. Try to stay cool - have a mid-day nap followed by a posicle. :)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I could never live in the south!! Here in southcentral MI it is mid 90's with humidity in the +90% range. I was out for a little over an hour picking and doing a few chores and thought I would die. I never turn my a/c on only every few years when we have a few days like this. I have never been more grateful for the a/c. I am certain that I could do absolutely NOTHING were it not for that. The humidity makes me feel like I am drowning.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I am hot, sticky and pregnant...talk about a cranky combination. DD and I are hiding out in our basement familyroom, camped in front of the fan. According to the dehumidifier the temperature in here is only 85 and the humidity is 70. I walked to the mail box and was drenched in sweat by the time I got back to the house.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
It says it's 97 here. I know if I step outside it's like walking into an oven. Can't hardly breathe. I refill my cat's water often during the day and sometimes even drop some ice cubes in there.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
It is hot today. The pool isn't even refreshing anymore.
I just came back from central PA and while it was hot, it wasn't Kentucky hot.
I doubt I could handle Texas hot!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
This is one of those days in AL that make you wish for gills....The humidity is brutal and the heat index is somewhere in the triple digits. It's brutal... So I'm headed out to play in the barn. Other than a couple of weeks around Jan, this is our weather all of the time too. If we waited for "good" weather, we'd all be hermits.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Loriann1971 said:
I am hot, sticky and pregnant...talk about a cranky combination. DD and I are hiding out in our basement familyroom, camped in front of the fan. According to the dehumidifier the temperature in here is only 85 and the humidity is 70. I walked to the mail box and was drenched in sweat by the time I got back to the house.
I smiled when I read your post. Both times that I was pregnant was during the summer. The first time I had her August 21, 1990. The second October 15, 1994. The second time I was living in Alabama and had a husband who didn't do anything to help. I was miserable. So I feel for you.
Here in Illinois it is high 90s with 70s at night. No air. Tomorrow is to be 100 so I figure 105-110 heat index. The kids and I are going to splurge and go and see dh for lunch and then go to the air conditioned library for the rest of the day.
We are taking a shower in the afternoon to cool off and one right before bed to cool off to sleep.

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
Yeah smokin' hot here in NWTN as well. They have been giving out heat advisory and advising everyone to stay indoors. School starts tomorrow...can I tell ya how happy I will be to be driving my bus route tomorrow afternoon LOL?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nothern Nevada gets hot for a week or two in July and August, but we consider it "muggy" when the humidity gets up to 10 or 12%. Summers are lovely here.

IF you sweat at all, it's gone off your skin in minutes.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Here in the Blue Ridge foothills this afternoon (normally a cool and moist place), its 101 degrees but only 24% humidity with only 1/4 of our normal rainfall since March. They say it will be like this at least the next 5 days which I guess will finish off drying-out any ground surface moisture that remains.

The climate may not have changed, but it sure is different.

I have seen it this hot a few times in my life but never this hot and dry.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Aye, tis hot/humid and the air seems devoid of oxygen, walked around the garden, the watermelons looked good, but still green. Heat index of 108*, thermostat on the A/C is set for 74 just to keep the house dry enough inside, very glad that days like this are temporary.

·
GO VOLS!!!!
310 Posts
Boleyz said:
The heat index in SE Ky. is about 114.

Air temp near 100

Humidity near 70%

Well Im over here near Norton across the line in Va. So I feel your pain. literally! Been out in it all do doing construction.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Makes me wonder how we used to bale and barn hay in 100 degree temps. All day, every day except Sunday.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts