Too Funny( other "rabbit" groups)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tiffann4k, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

This is somewhat related to the other rabbit forum thread, but anyhow I belonged to a carnivore feed group on yahoo and its basically ppl looking for food to feed their cats or dogs, well anyhow I made a post today trying to get rid of a rabbit that I have, its not a meat rabbit its a "pet" rabbit but its mean so I said in my post It is of no use to me because I dont want to keep it as a pet, I dont want to breed it and I dont want to butcher it ( its a waste of my time really) so I was offering it to anyone who wanted to either butcher it themselves or feed it to a snake, well the moderator emails me back telling me she rejected my post because it was " cruel and inhumane" I was like okay but isnt the whole point of the list to find animals to feed to your cats, dog, snake etc LOL! So I told her that maybe I should of butchered it first and then offered it and she might not of seen it as inhumane and cruel if it was going to feed her dog.

I have nothing against raw feeders I do it myself but was just stunned that this person thought that by offering a live animal to someone who raw feeds that I was being cruel and inhumane...LOL

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Somehow I'm not surprised. People always get upset with me when I talk about slaughtering our own chickens and rabbits...but yet they eat meat. :rolleyes: Go figure. I guess it's considered inhumane and cruel if it's larger than a gerbil?... Because the gerbils/rats/hamsters have no feelings?..... Or because they are just idiots????... Oh wait...maybe that's it!

3. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

I, for one, can attest that I had feeling when that darn dwarf hamster bit me. Countless times. I'm suprised I don't have scarring. :rolleyes: Rats, on the other hand... as smart as a dog, and smarter than the majority of the human race. :haha: Speaking of which, I need to go and check in on my 15-day-olders. Eyes just opened and so cute!

This coming from someone who butchers and eats the larger rabbits she raises (colleagues and friends are always so amazed when my mother tells them that her sixteen-year-old daughter actually *gasp* processes rabbits!), and pre-kills to sell as feeders as far as the slightly smaller breed is concerned.

4. Tiffann4k

LOL!! Bingo!

I am still laughing about that whole situation.....some people...lol!

5. inc

inc Well-Known Member

WHAT was the moderator's screen name? i have been in this situation myself

6. Tiffann4k

You know what I forget but her email had something to do with dogs and her name was Karen.

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

========

It does seem odd that you would get that reaction on a group thats for raw feeders ,, I wouldn't mind offering rabbits to snake owners but am hesitant about putting up a sign at the local pet store ,,

the lady said she wouldn't mind at all me putting a sign up ,, but I'm worried some humane soc type might see it ,, and the next thing I'd be bothered by 'officials' you know ,, "cruelety to the fuzzy bunnies feeding them to snakes"

I'd have to think real carefully about how I would word a notice :rolleyes:

Plus my hub hates to butcher and hes already told me hes not doing any for the public ,, :haha:

I don't have the arm strength to do butchering myself ,, and hub won't 'allow' me to help when we butcher till its skinned ,, then he turns them over to me :p

8. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

A very simple solution to that problem, Tucker!

Instead of posting a sign, make up a batch of business cards and give them to the store owner to give out to their customers needing feeder rabbits. That's what I did, and it worked like a charm! Never had any need to advertise feeder rabbits, although I did run ads for "live fryer rabbits" and also received calls for feeder rabbits from that, too. No, I didn't cater to the live feeding customers and would tell them so when they called. Just knowing that I had rabbits to sell and using the word "fryer," which, of course, means "meat" rabbits, was enough.

Got a funny story out of this: One day, a customer called wanting a fryer rabbit to eat. I weighed the rabbit while he watched, then he asked if he could handle it. "Sure," I said. He promptly put his hands around the girth of the rabbit. I shocked him when I asked "what size is your snake?" "Uh... does it matter that it's for a snake?" "Nope, not at all so long as you pre-kill... I just knew you were measuring the girth of the rabbit to make sure the snake could eat it." He let out a big sigh of relief! Seems he'd had a lot of trouble from other rabbit breeders who wouldn't sell feeder rabbits, so he took to lying about it. He became a regular customer after that.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

if i butcher a cow its ok, if i butcher a rabit, gasp... im surprised you got that well, ok , no im not surprised you got that kind of reaction, i get it all the time, even from other goat people, oh no , you butchered your goat, and ate it ... yes... as i sit here in front of the puter munching on fried liver from my goat whos hanging outside waiting for me to finish cutting up for the freezer...
    wether it was previously a pet rabbit is immaterial , at this point it has become, thanks to its own behaviors, a meat rabbit, whether thats for you , or you prefer someone else, because of its previous pet status, which is what im guessing .
    makes no sense.....

ill never understand the oh i raise such and such farm animal, but would never butcher it ...

on a B.A.R.F. group no less... how odd ...
    B

10. inc

inc Well-Known Member

never heard of 'karen'

i was thinking ogf someone on teh poultry boards who cut me for similar talk.

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I suppose a lot of folk think that meat just arrives from some Magic Place in the back of the grocery store, already on the styrofoam tray and covered in plastic...

Or maybe it all grows on a Meat Farm on trees, along with eggs and milk and cheese?

(oh! That rhymes!)

Pony!