Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do the sugar maple seeds start to fall? I know that they are in the fall (the other maples are in the spring). Can't find the info anywhere! I'm in zone 5, by the way.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Our maples let their 'helicopters' go in the spring. I am still plucking up self-started maple trees from my garden beds.

Were you there in the spring to watch the seeds take flight?

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BCR said:
Our maples let their 'helicopters' go in the spring. I am still plucking up self-started maple trees from my garden beds.

Were you there in the spring to watch the seeds take flight?
I believe that MOST maples do their helicoptering in the spring, but sugar maples do it in the fall. I'm trying to find some seeds this fall, but didn't know if it was too early.

Yep, they're cool to watch!

·
Almst livin the good life
1,126 Posts
Our bit leaf maples and vine maples release all their seeds in the fall.... all over everything! Ever try to get those things out of the cracks between the boards in a deck?????? They don't sprout until spring, they stay soggy all winter where they fall.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
You might be happier with the outcome if you will take cuttings from the nicest tree you can find. It will be more resistant to disease than the majority.

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cyngbaeld said:
You might be happier with the outcome if you will take cuttings from the nicest tree you can find. It will be more resistant to disease than the majority.
The neighbors probably won't mind me picking up seeds off the sidewalk, but I'm sure they'd be ticked if I took a cutting! :) I'm in a town -- they aren't the friendly chat-over-the-back-fence-type of neighbor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts