too big to butcher?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Matt NY, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

Maybe too old is the question. My hog is about a year and a half and weighs arounf 450. I'm not afraid to get in there and cut it up, but I don't want pork that is only good for sausage.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Jeeze lad, what's wrong with sausage? I never think there's enough sausage on a hog, so when I've had an older one, cut the choice pieces off and ground the rest. That said, I don't think a year and some is too old to run through the regular way. Think how much bacon you'll get!

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Whole hog sausage...can't be beat!

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with all above. We are making the assumption here that this is not an intact boar though. If that is the case, then sausage is THE only option. Otherwise, should make some nice roasts, steaks or hams and mostly sausage on the front cuts. Good luck.

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You just cut A intact boar and wait about 2-3 weeks then butcher.

6. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

I would think that a boar would be much larger than 450 lbs at that age.

And with that said...
    About 10 years ago, we bred a young female, raised her young, and then weaned them and butchered her.
    The chops and steaks were the size of a dinner plate! The Hams were party sized..We got lots of ground pork and would have had lots of sausage had the butcher "lost it" (last time we dealt with him)..

She was 690 lbs before gutting. And there wasn't anything wrong with any of the meat. A little more fat than at half that size of course, but otherwise fine as she was allowed access to the outdoors and had lots of exercise. And we always feed grower as opposed to cob or straight corn.
    These days, we often let pigs get up to 350 lbs or more before butchering. I want meat in my freezer, not just bags of bones.

Hope this helps.

7. Matt NY

$50 is just a guess, I guess I could go tape her. I wanted to breed her, but she lost them after a month last winter and now I find it hard to find out when she is in heat. Funny that it only cost me $30 to AI my cow, but it was $80 including shipping for the pig and that was the sale price.

Anyway, it sounds like I should do something before she gets too old.

Thanks,
    Matt

8. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

You can pick up pig semen online for about $25 and that includes shipping. Its not a registered hog but purebred. Anyway, my parents had the exact same thing happen with a yorkshire hog. They fed her way too much and she weighed over 500 lbs at a year old. She got pregnant at around 8 months old and lost the babies at some point. Then she never came back in heat. An overweight sow will not be able to come in heat regularly and more than likely will not carry babies full term. This sow had well over a 100 lbs of fat on her after they butchered her. When you looked at her she just didn't seem that fat though. If you want to keep her get her in shape. 450 lbs seems like she is a little too big at 18 months, especially if she miscarried. She should be maintained on 5 lbs of feed a day (cant remember the protein level). Now if you do want to go ahead and butcher her by all means do it. My parents butchered this sow and gave me some of the bacon and sausage. It was excellent. Some of the bacon strips were 4" wide!!!

9. Matt NY

Now you have me thinking again. I'd really like to breed her. She is an Old spot york cross. I had these from the same parents two years in a row and they gained great and tasted wonderful. The guy got rid of his pigs though so I kept this one to breed. The Berks I raised this year gained alot slower; I haven't tasted them yet though.

Where can I get semen for $25 shipped?

For that price I can try to get her in shape. I think I'll go tape her and see what she really weighs.

Thanks,
    Matt

10. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Ok it took me a while to find the link. You probably want two doses so that she can be AIed twice. For shipping to my zip and two doses it was around $40. The website is www.foxai.com. On the left click on Gentecporc USA. Now remember this is sold as commercial pig semen and they only have two boars available. One is a Yorkshire and the other is a duroc. Now this might be something you want to think about. If you have an auction not too far from you it would make it easier and more cost effective. I have a yorkshire sow who is around 5 months old. When she is around 8 months old I'll go to a local auction and pick up a young boar. I'll keep him for a week (of course timed with her heat cycle) and then take him right back to the sale. My parents sold their boar at the auction and he was same age and weighed 575 lbs. They got $.07 lb. I looked into the AI myself and decided that it would be more cost effective, easier, and more sure to just buy a boar. The only drawback is that you might have a chance of getting a boar who couldn't breed (too large like my parent's boar was) or he might have something. But chances are pretty slim. If he can't breed, I'll know when she comes back in heat and then I'll just buy another. If this isn't feasible for you there is always the AI. Hope this helps you out :)

11. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

I've never butchered one that big but I have a friend who has butchered them up as large as 1062 lbs. He says they're great eating. That was about two and a half or three years old I think.

-Walter
    in Vermont