Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our first sweet corn tonight and it sure was good.

I made GrannyG's squash patty recipe and it was delicious. My hubby likes to eat them with maple syrup...he claims he could eat nothing but those for several weeks in a row!

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
Yummy!

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
sounds good.
What variety of sweet corn did you grow?

I am awaiting a crop in about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks of 'Golden Beauty' sweet corn. It's supposed to be a very good freezer type and also I can't wait for some fresh on the cob!

Tonight fresh from the garden I had a medley of grilled summer squash (baby zuchinni), young kohl rabi, baby leeks, sweet onion, swiss chard stalks, and 'just picked' brocolli. It was good with the homestead raised broiler chicken and home grown new potato salad.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
that is a beautiful sight.thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We are in N. Maine and have just started to get green beans,cukes,turnip greens and lettuce and some tomatoes and it is so delish!! I love the idea of preparing and eating something that you grew with your own hands.tonite I made a vegetable beef stoup,mmmmm
chris

·
Retired US Navy
111 Posts
Outstanding performance! I like you you displayed everything! Love it!

As for me,..I will soon have about a hundred carrots, a hundred Walla Walla Onions, a hundred green onions, 300 ears of corn (at least), and about 700 tomatoes! I will gain some friends for sure after I can this stuff, as well as freeze and eat what I can when I start giving some away for free.

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
moonwolf said:
sounds good.
What variety of sweet corn did you grow?
The corn I'm growing is "Six Shooter", sent to me by Zebraman last year. It can have 6 ears per plant. The most I've seen so far is 5, but that's better than the normal one or two!

Here's the squash patty recipe, from Granny G's blog (I've amended it a bit to fit my tastes, so that's how I'll type it)

2 eggs, beaten
2 T sugar
1 t salt
dash of pepper
1/4 cup milk (I used buttermilk)
1/2 cup finely choped onion
4 cups grated raw yellow squash
1 1/2 cups flour

Combine all ingredients, mix well. (I allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes to allow the flour to be absorbed and so the flavors can meld a bit)

Drop tablespoons (I like them big, so I use more like a 1/2 cup per patty) into skillet with 1/4 inch hot oil. Turn when first side is golden brown and allow second side to cook. Drain on paper towels. EAT! As I mentioned before, Hubby really likes these with maple syrup and claims they would be wonderful camping breakfast food. (I use a big cast iron skillet and olive oil.)

The original recipe has been doubled because we like to eat them more as a main dish instead of a side. The recipe this size makes about 9 fairly large patties. (Thanks, GrannyG...I believe this recipe will be in my arsenal for many years to come.)

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just in case you already printed out the patty recipe, please check it now. I had omitted an ingredient (milk) and had the wrong measurement for the flour.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Your produce is beautiful. Great colors, super healthy looking. Yummy.

This is off topic, but how do you like that tiled countertop? Is the grout a pain to keep clean? It sure is pretty!

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
turtlehead said:
Your produce is beautiful. Great colors, super healthy looking. Yummy.

This is off topic, but how do you like that tiled countertop? Is the grout a pain to keep clean? It sure is pretty!
We LOVE the tile. We gutted the kitchen and put all new stuff in in 1998, I believe (I was still working and we lots-o-cash!). We did all of the work ourselves, including the tile. Hubby was nervous for the first few years that the tiles were just going to pop off (hee hee hee), but they've been great. I sealed the grout with 2 coats of sealer then, and we just did it again last fall. I didn't really think it needed it, but hubby went around with a little scraping tool and cleaned up the grout and we sealed it again. The grout isn't white, so that helps a lot! It's wonderful if you're an active cook...I don't ever have to worry about scratching the stuff, it's great for rolling out pastry and cookies, and I think it makes a kitchen look a bit high-dollar (we always try to think of potential buyer's reactions when we remodel, since we've been known to get done with a project and then sell our house and start all over).

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Thanks for the info; sorry about the thread drift.
We're going to eventually re-do our kitchen (it is a true horror). Your tile is beautiful.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
thanks for that spash patty recipe. I'm trying that tonight to have with some homestead grown chicken and garden fresh salad. I'm going to try substituting chopped baby leeks instead of chopped onions, cause I have lots of leeks. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts