Tonight I am in mourning....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by reluctantpatriot, Mar 3, 2005.

1. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    What started as great joy this afternoon when I came home from substitute teaching today at about 3:30 p.m. turned into great mourning by about 11 p.m. Wednesday, March 2, 2005. A queen Nubian doe of mine named Rosa, who was finally pregnant after two or three false pregnancies since I have had her, finally had a real pregnancy and was in labor today and this evening.

Due to my stupidity and inexperience I lost both beautiful, black bodied with gray and white accented doe kids despite all my efforts and those of two knowledgable goat owning friends. I even gave CPR and mouth to mouth rescusitation, to the best of my ability, to try to save the kids who both arrived breech.

Right about now I am questioning the wisdom of trying to keep these animals when I am so stupid that I couldn't do anything for the kids. I have another yearling doe who will be a first time kidder who will be due within a week or two. I just hope I don't have a repeated stupidity attack and let these kids die too.

If I sound bitter or very depressed, it is because I am both right now. I am mourning the loss of two wonderful kids.

2. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Sweetie, if there were three of you, and CPR, and mouth-to-mouth, then I simply cannot believe that those babies were "let die"... They were breach, out of a doe with a poor repro history. The fact that the Lord decided to give you the joy of KNOWING what the little angels look like as they play in the fields of heaven is a testament to why He must think you are strong enough to bear it.

I see them now...

Best, Jill-

3. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Aaron,
    I'm sorry for your and Rosa's loss, Sometimes these things just happen. I know you well enough to say you're a caring fella and did everything you could....a lot more than some others I know could or would have.
    Don't question your wisdom or think yourself stupid....Aaron I know better, we've talked plenty of times. Again...these things sometimes just happen.
    Hang in there friend!
    Bill

4. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

To date, my only kidding ever, resulted in two dead kids and a dead doe. We had to do a c-section, but it was just too much for her. I felt the same way for a couple of days, but with a lot of moral support from goat friends, I'm looking forward to two more does giving birth in the next couple of days, another in April and a fourth in May. I might have even managed to breed a yearling to freshen in July...I'll know more later. This is my first kidding year and not a good first experience.
    Sounds to me like you did everything you could and then some. Just make sure you have phone numbers handy and a well supplied kidding kit.
    So if you don't give up on goats, I won't either. :)

Ruth

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

No, don't give up. Most kiddings, believe me, will not be like this. And it is certainly not your fault that you had this bad result.
    So sorry that things went so badly, and hoping your next kidding will be perfect.
    mary

6. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to us on our first kidding this year. The kids only cried out a few times and died! I felt terrible too, they were soooo sweet! We have 2 more due, so I will pray for the both of us!
    wendy :(

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

been there, done that, gave up.

so sorry for your loss, aaron.

8. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss. My first kids were triplets who were weak and whose mother didn't have any milk at all. I was gone and DH didn't know what to do. I drove 2 hours as fast as I could and arrived just in time to try mouth to mouth and all other emergency procedures I knew of, on 2 of the kids. They were so weak. We managed to save just one kid and feel lucky for that, but were so dishearteded at loosing the 2 boys. It's sad when you loose kids. We tube them, we warm them we breath for them and still they sometimes doe. Don't give up. Sometimes it just happens to spite everything that we do.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

It's hard with forums like these, everyone comes to them with heartache and problems, when nothing in goats is like that normally. But how boring...my first doe of the year kidded. Pheonix was handbred to GE and kidded on her due date, she herself 12 months old, with 3 cute black and white splashed bucklngs. By 7pm that evening the bucklings were in their new home and she is milking very well with a really nice tight little udder. She wasn't to keen on day two when the milking machine came on, but just talking to her she settled right down and is going to be a good little milker. But honestly, it's how 99% of kiddings go.

Don't loose heart, a doe with your does reproductive problems had alot going on. The first kids of a doe this old, esepcially one who is usually carry alot of fat from being nonproductive, have little chance as it is, big kids, a first freshers cervic, kids that you have to move from the breech position to get out, it's alot! Good luck with your yearling, hope it goes as well as mine did. Vicki

10. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

I am sorry about your loss. They are never easy.

It sounds to me like you did everything that you and two experienced friends could do.

Goat raising doesn't have the research and experience in this country that other livestock has. For all of us that will admit it, most of what we know has been learned the hard way.

What I would hate to see is someone like you decide to quit raising goats. After all that, anyone who would question what more could have been done is someone who I would like to see continue raising goats. There is probably a lot more that all of us could do that no one knows about yet. The only way we all will get there is to never stop asking that same question.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

11. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

Hey Aaron.
    I am so sorry about your loss. :( I had the same experince, well with my great prynese and her, well see considers, newfoundland sister. THey olny had three puppies each two weeks apart and i olny had two female pups make it out of each litter. :waa: These pups were HUGE :eek: i mean large. But dont give up you did your best and just pamper your doe so she doesnt think it was all a loss. :rolleyes: She may get attached and may even try to nurse other kids. I wouldnt recommened breeding that particular doe back.
    Good Luck with the future births. Just breath :rolleyes:
    Lyn
    p.s. i will pray for you :D

12. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

It defenatly comes across as a problem with the doe, not you or the care you gave. I lost my first doe to bloat after my 10 yr old let her eat chicken scratch, just 2 weeks before she was due. I had told him not to, he said didn't, but there it was in her belly.

He lives with his dad most of the time, what could I say? But, he believes chicken scratch will kill a goat now.