Tomorrow is opening day of bow season!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 30, 2005.

1. Who all's going to be out there in the woods with me?

I have to run to town today and get my tags. One for deer and one for turkey. Good luck/skill to you all.

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Also in Michigan brown is down except it's supposed to be 80 Sunday.

mikell

3. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I better paint the doggies orange :eek: :eek: I enjoy hunting myself but the folks around here are nuts. Thanks for the heads up!

4. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm headed out. Good luck everyone!

5. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a trail ride and a wedding scheduled for tomorrow but I am hoping to get in my stand for at least a little while before dark..... My son has said forget everything! He's not going to any stinking wedding. He is pretty gung ho about bow hunting this year.....He might come home to eat occasionally.
    Tana Mc

6. Tana, I hope it's not your son who is suppose to get married!!!! Deer season has caused a few divorces you know? And, I know from experience that it has broke up dating couples before! :D

7. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

DH will be out, well I was going to say bright and early but it certainly won't be bright! I actually have an orange jacket that my service dog wears during hunting season. He is a large chocolate lab so ..... People on our property are family but we are close to state game lands and have had some "wonderers". And I will carry a hand gun if I go in the woods until hunting season is over.

8. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

HA! No it is not Charlie's wedding but I can assure you when the time comes-- he won't have a fall wedding! It is a good friend and neighbor's daughter who is the bride.
    Public hunting ground is about 25 yds behind my house. All kinds of nuts drive out here from Wichita. I have went out to feed the chickens and had some guy leaning on the hen house.....The Pyr dogs saw him at about the same time I did. It was quite entertaining before I called/dragged them off. They drive up and park in the yard and get upset when the dogs won't let them out of the vehicle.
    Since we put up "private drive" and "guard dog on duty" signs, it hasn't been quite as bad.
    For the most part, the hunters are good fellows and I have even given coffee on bitter cold days to a few. We have helped track a deer for a guy from Pennsylvania. Some day when I am wealthy, I am going to open a hunting lodge so I can hunt and cook for lots of folks--- two of my favorite things to do.
    Tana Mc

9. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

I'm leaving in about 30 minutes.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Guess I better put orange collars on the dogs tonight and get my signs up and posted early in the morning. Already caught someone scoping out our large field that's been planted in hardwoods.

SIGH...I hate hunting season. Or should I say I hate poachers and trespassers?

11. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I quess tomorrow it's Skeet shooting till NOON. Then the 9MM comes out. YA Gotta keep out the tresspassers Ya Know.

12. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I only knew that because my neighbor across the road stopped me on Friday to reconfirm that he will be walking through my pasture to one of his tree stands. There's 40 acres of young woods behind us which we don't own, but my dog thinks we do. Putting up electric wire for our livestock has interfered with the neighbor's previous path to the woods. I showed him where we'd put a gate at the deer path, just in front of his blind, and had another gate at the road so he would have a straight path from the road to his blind.

I told him three times that there are two fences to keep the rams out of the pasture, four lines of wire, and electric netting. And, actually a third fence so there's a buffer between the rams and the ewes. He didn't really care, but I told him again he didn't need to worry about the ewes because they won't come up to him, or the donkeys (at which time he admitted to feeding the donkeys carrots, so yes, they will come up to him), and the rams are behind two, actually three fences. I don't think he fully comprehended how important it is to have three fences between him and three rams during the tupping season.

13. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I'm finished with my archery hunting for this fall. I got one decent 8 point buck, two does and my two turkeys. They said I can get more doe tags but I don't think I'm going to. I've still got my buck tag and 6 doe tags for firearms deer season to fill and two more turkey tags for firearms turkey season to fill. Should have the two firearms turkey tags filled by the end of next week. Just a matter of finding the time to go.

I'll have the freezer pretty well packed by the end of deer season.

14. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I'm jealous. Bow season doesn't begin until the 15th of the month here in NY. I been scouting hard and have seen plenty of deer including 3 nice bucks. Good luck to everyone in filling the freezers...have a safe hunt!

15. Wow Quint, sounds like you had a great opening weekend? Or did your season start much earlier than ours? I can't imagine getting that many animals in one weekend.

I only got to hunt Saturday, opening day, and saw about 6 deer total. I was just a little bit too far out of range for my ole' recurve. Except for a little spike that came up to my deer call. I didn't want to waste my tag on something so small. If I was still hunting with a compound I may have gotten to shoot at both a bigger doe and a small 6 pointer. Oh well, there will be more days to hunt.

16. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

Might be able to do some hunting during Halloween weekend. Depends if I can get the longbow ready in time, if not going to use the training wheels.
    R.H., what kind of recurve are you shooting??
    Will

17. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Well, this sure isn't fair. I have to wait until the 15th lol. I did get a new string put on the bow and got it all ready to go so I am ready and waiting. Squirrel season starts Saturday so I might entertain myself with that until bow season starts. Been seeing A LOT of bucks roaming around and I hope they stay around as we are only allowed one antlerless during bow season and one during rifle this year.

Best of luck to yall and be careful.

Speaking of such I am going to go put orange collars, blankets, or something on the Jersey calves because there are crazy hunters around here and they are the wrong color to be prowling in the field without something on them lol.

18. Will, I'm not sure the name of the bow but it was made by Ben Pearson. I've had camo duct tape on it so long and covering the name of the bow that I don't remember. I do remember it being 45# draw weight. I also hunt with a homemade stick longbow that I made out of a Mulberry tree. It's draw weight is 49# at 28". But I am much more accurate with the Ben recurve.

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Our archery season opened in mid September. The buck was taken at 8:38 am on opening day at a range of 17 yards. I got a doe that evening about sunset nearly on the same spot. The other doe I got the next time I went hunting which was a few days later she was a bit closer at about 10 yards. That one I got probably around 10am or so since I was home in time for dinner. All from ground blinds. I don't do tree stands much anymore. I'm just not comfortable with heights even with a safety harness.

The turkey were taken on separate days and were a lot more work than the deer. I just couldn't get them to come close. They were ignoring my decoys and weren't responding to calls (which I have not had much luck with in fall anyway) Lots of stalking the flock and trying to get ahead of them and get set up in a good area. Not to mention I flat out blew two shots on the turkeys. I'm blaming my fletching but it was probably just me. The arrows just simply curved in flight and one managed to bury itself in a tree trunk which wrecked the brand new broadhead. Took it out of the box that morning and tossed it in the trash that evening.