Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what will cause soft spots on the ir tomatos? Mine are ripening fine and then when it is time to pick it has a soft spot almost like it is starting to rot on the top/side of it. This has happened to about 5 of them.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I vote for anthracnose also. I had this problem really bad and now when I plant the tomatoes I put a fungicide on once a week for about 4 weeks and have no problem with it anymore.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
I've been getting a few soft tomatoes, and a lot of splitting, but I've been attributing it to the incredible wetness of late.

Does anthracnose look like blossom end rot, but on the side? I had a couple tomatoes with that earlier in the season, but haven't seen it since.

Pony!

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Pony, it looks like the tomato got bumped or dropped and developed a bruise. A soft round flat area that looks like a bruise.

I have (knock wood) never had blossom end rot so not sure if it looks the same or not.

I've had every OTHER tomato problem imaginable, though!

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
turtlehead said:
Pony, it looks like the tomato got bumped or dropped and developed a bruise. A soft round flat area that looks like a bruise.

I have (knock wood) never had blossom end rot so not sure if it looks the same or not.

I've had every OTHER tomato problem imaginable, though!
LOL! I know the feeling, but my "Garden Problem Children" are sweet peppers the past two years. I just don't know what's going on. Used to do just fine with them, but now I'm reduced to purchasing them. Hot peppers do great, though. :shrug:

This year, my biggest "problem" with the tomatoes is Tomato Glut. I believe this comes from being overly optimistic early in the season, and from tucking extra plants here and there -- just to fill in the bare spots, of course.

I processed a full bushel yesterday (in addition to the ones Nick processed last week), and I have two bushels more waiting in the kitchen (I'm just taking a break -- honest!) I'm sure there's at least another bushel out on the vines.

It's a pain, I tell ya, when work eats into my homesteading life... We've go to get out of this place...

Pony!

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Pony said:
It's a pain, I tell ya, when work eats into my homesteading life... We've go to get out of this place...
You are singing my (once upon a time) song, woman!

TWO BUSHELS? :eek:

It took me over two days to process one bushel into marinara. I'm slow at skinning and coring, I guess, plus it takes foh-EBBUH for the sauce to cook down as thick as we like it.

That said, the canner is coming up to pressure as I type :D

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
turtlehead said:
You are singing my (once upon a time) song, woman!

TWO BUSHELS? :eek:

It took me over two days to process one bushel into marinara. I'm slow at skinning and coring, I guess, plus it takes foh-EBBUH for the sauce to cook down as thick as we like it.

That said, the canner is coming up to pressure as I type :D

Pony's Tips to Quick Tomato Processing

If you're making sauce, just toss the whole (clean) tomato into the pot. Cook it down, put it through the food mill. Seeds and skins and cores are separated. Then put the gravy into the slow cooker with the lid off. :)

If you don't have time to process the tomatoes right away, double bag them in plastic grocery sacks and toss them in the freezer. When you're ready to process them, run the frozen tomatoes under warm water. The skins slip right off. Then, put the tomatoes into a strainer over a bowl. Cover with cheesecloth (keeps out bugs). The tomatoes drain as they defrost; the liquid can be frozen or canned for soup base or beverage, and the pulp will cook down LOTS faster without all that water in it.

I suppose that's a thread drift...

Should I move this post? ;)

Pony!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.