tomatos and fire ants?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Meg Z, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I was just out picking veggies in the garden with my 10 year old neice, who is visiting. We've had a lot of rain the last couple days, so I wasn't surprised to see a few tomatos split. What did surprise me was finding out that the fire ants like them like that!

I reached through and grabbed two tomatos, then dropped them in my 'basket'...yep, just had my shirt pulled up to pop them into. Then I realized that my hand was on fire. I'll bet I got 30 bites on my left hand. I got them off, without dropping the shirt full, then thought to look in my shirt. The inside of the 'basket' was covered in fire ants...thankfully, they were all biting the shirt. I got the tomatos dumped out, then got all the ants off. In the meantime, another batch got in my shoe!

Thankfully, my neice didn't get a single bite!

So, how often will I find fire ants two feet up into a tomato bush, dining on my stuff? I've never seen them do that before?

Meg...sitting here with vinegar on her left hand and right foot.....

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I've got fire ants in my garden as well, but have never had a problem with them in my tomatoes before. My field peas most definitely, and to a lesser extent my squash blossoms, but never the tomatoes.

How wet is the soil in your garden? Many times the little devils will start looking for high ground because the soil is too wet to nest in. At the last place I lived you could count on the things getting into the well points every year without fail once the rainy season started. Brush them all out, spray the whole thing with bug spray, and we'd be good for another year.

.....Alan.

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

There is nothing in my garden that they don't like. They will climb to the top of a 6 foot stalk of okra & eat holes in the pods.
    The other day, I ran out to get a few ears of sweet corn for supper. I was wearing shorts, & as I picked the corn, I stuck them between my knees to free my hands. One of them happened to be covered with fire ants, & they like to crawl up.
    Believe me!!! They can make you come out of a pair of shorts in a hurry!

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Oh My Gosh!!

I don't feel nearly so bad about my hand, now!

Meg