Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swamped with them, any way I can preserve the, besides canning. Next year I'd like to be able to make my own spaghetti sauce by canning, this year not quite practical. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Freezing and dehydrating are the other options I use.
Freezing: You can wash, core and freeze them whole - easy, but takes up a ton of room. To keep from filling up the freezer with big frozen tomato balls, you can wash, core, and cut into quarters. the more seeds that 'drop out' the better - we don't mind a few seeds and we don't skin them - your choice. Pack into freezer bags. Once frozen, take them out and thaw them. Pour off the water and you'll have reduced the storage to about a quarter of the bag with just tomato 'meat.' Now you can make other decisions.
Freeze now in quantities you are likely to use for cooking. Cook them with seasonings (spagetti sauce, pizza sauce, whatever) and freeze. I cook mine down in a big electric oven and use a stick blender to blend it all into smooth sauce. Smaller quantities could be done in a regular blender or food processor. Then freeze all seasoned up. Freezing and thawing is the trick to saving space and saving time because you don't have to cook them down for hours to get rid of the extra water.

The other option is dehydrating. In pieces like sun-dried tomatoes or cooked down and dehydrated as a leather.

·
Saltine American
6,578 Posts
Peel, cook them down and can.

Make tomato veggie soup........................................if you have veggies like greenbeans. peas, corn, okra and shelled beans

·
Junkman
630 Posts
I cut up tomatoes, peppers, hot or sweet, (not too many hot) onions, garlic, a little Sweet Basil and occasionally a couple firm green tomatoes. Put in colander and let drain. I mix up some brown vinegar, sugar and salt and heat till dissolved. Pour over mixture and cook down a while. We can it in small jelly jars just for the 2 of us. Love it on sandwiches, scrambled eggs or as a dip. Never measure veggies, but use an old cook book for syrup. Sometimes sweeter sometimes hot. Jklady

1 - 5 of 5 Posts