tomatoes upside-down

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by AllWolf, Jun 8, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

We had seen some stuff on the internet about growing upside down tomatoes so we thought we give it a shot an so far they are doing great getting ready to have little tomatoes on them..

Has anyone else done these?

In the top of the bucket we planted sweet peppers an they are doing great so far also.. :)

2. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

I tried to grow an upsidedown tomato last year. Unfortunately, the hook I had it hanging on wasn't sturdy enough and the bucket eventually slipped off and squashed the tomato :grump:.

But this year, I got out the same bucket again, (I had just taken a 5 gallon bucket with a handle and cut a 3 inch hole in the bottom), and I replanted me another upsidedown tomato. This time, I hung it on the framework I had up to hang my scarecrow on, it's cemented in the ground in my side yard. The tomato is doing fine there, although it isn't as healthy as the tomatoes I have out in my garden, but I think maybe that is because I keep forgetting about it :shrug:. I know it drys out and needs water more often, so I am not real sure it is worth my trouble. Maybe I need to move it out into my actual garden where I can keep a better eye on it? .... hummmmmm

I'm interested to see how others are doing with their upsidedown tomatoes though!

Woodsmokeinherhair!

3. horsegurl146

horsegurl146 Member

I was thinking about trying this out, I have lots of 5 gallon buckets and lots of tomato plants. It sounds like a really great idea, I just don't know what to hang them on though. Any ideas? We rent, so I can't cement a pole in the ground or anything. And there's no tree limbs that I could hang them off of.
    Thanks!

4. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I have two of the upside down tomatoes on my porch. They are not doing nearly as well as the same variety "snow white" cherry tomato in a planter bucket nearby. The other tomato is a "best boy" and not even in the same ballpark as the same variety, same age plants in the garden.

5. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

My daughter is trying them in her 4H garden this year... they are in 5 gal buckets with petunias on top hung on a old swingset. So far so good... the petunias love the extra attention they get from her watering them every other day. The tomatoes are just starting to grow downward and they are dark green and thick stemmed... I think this might be good :) :)

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I'll keep an eye on this thread as I didn't like the performance of my tomatoes in the bottom of the bucket thing either. The ones in the garden did much better.

Tomatos, as you know like to be buried really deep and I haven't accomplished this in that bucket bottom and I think they waste a lot of energy trying to grow back upright. Just my view, I might not be doing it correctly.

LQ

7. AllWolf

When I can I will either post photos of our upside down ones or give you a link to our site showing how ours are growing so far. It is fun trying new things and my husband loves to try new things too. We do not have to worry to much about when to water because right now seems like everytime we need to water ours it rains. Which is great.. :)

If you all like also I will have some photos of my patio tomatoes that I'm growing alone with the upside down ones. My patio tomato already has close to 10 little ones on it.

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I would love to follow how they are doing! I am also curious about what "type" of tomatoes people are planting in this upside down position? Determinant or indeterminant? Don't know what difference it would make but I'd be interested in knowing.

Valent mentioned a "Snow White" cherry tomato. Any one else have a different type?

Good luck with the "maters"! Yum! LOL

LQ

9. AllWolf

Well on our upside down plants so far they are still doing good.. We finally have a little tomato on one plant now the others are now blooming also. We also have 2 pepper plants in top of the bucket and they are starting to bloom. When get new photos of them will post for everyone.. :)

10. AllWolf

11. AllWolf

Update on upside-down tomatoes
    So far our upside-down tomatoes are still doing good. We now have one tomato on one plant and the plants was at first makeing like a J but now they are starting to come down and soon have more tomatoes on them. I haven't took any more photos of them yet but will soon if people like to see them let me know.

12. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Hey, yours look really good Allwolf. I hadnt seen those photos before now. Mine actually have a few fruit on them but still very disappointing versus the garden planted ones.

13. AllWolf

Thanks for the nice comment. I will put somemore photos of tomatoes on soon. I have been busy with all kinds of other things but soon will put more photos of them up. My patio tomatoes that I have is doing good. I have already on my patio tomatoes gotten off 4 little red ones boy they are good.. :)

14. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I just found this thread. Upside-down tomatoes sounds very interesting. Any updated photo's?

15. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member