Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by shanzone2001, Jul 17, 2010.

1. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 Well-Known Member

What do you plan to do with yours? Canning? Any good salsa recipies?
    My kids and I eat so many right off the vine, but I will have soooo many and I don't want to just give them away!
    I have everything for canning them, I just need to learn how to do it!

2. dragonchick

dragonchick Well-Known Member

I too have never canned anything so I am in the same boat with ya. I bought the Ball canning book yesterday and have been leafing through it. It doesn't look too hard to learn and everyone has to start sometime, or somewhere don't they. I too have everything I need to start learning. Now if I just had a knowledgeable grandma type person to teach me. IF you were closer we could learn together.

3. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing!
    I bought that book and used the recipe for jam. It turned out pretty good. It wasn't too hard, but learning from a person instead of a book would be so much better!

4. coup

coup Well-Known Member

tomato juice is easy....you can use for a drink or make tomato soup,or use in sauces...............also you can buy miss wages packets and make pizza sauce,spagetta sauce...........easy...........

5. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Your extension office might know of a smart grandma type that would be willing to teach you - or radical notion - they might have a class!! I am sure you could hook up with a canning type person there!!

6. po boy

po boy Saltine American

google canning
    tomatoes
    tomato sauce
    salsa
    etc
    you'll get a lot of sources including extension services

7. Old Swampgirl

Old Swampgirl Well-Known Member

Get the Ball canning book & follow the directions. The new edition is huge however, so if you can find a used old edition it would be great. My old book even has pictures along with the direction in a two-page layout for canning tomatoes. It's great!

8. PrettyPaisley

PrettyPaisley Well-Known Member

Our extention office the next county over does classes.

Also-Ball is working with a ton of canning bloggers to get people together all over the country in people's home to hold canning classes. I know this because I applied for a free Ball Discovery Kit for offering to hold a get-together and they sent me one for free! (I didn't invite on this site because there is so little I could offer you guys!) Go to Canning Across America and other canning blogs to see if there is something close to you you can attend.

9. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I am dehydrating tomatoes right now, had some given to me...I stood out in the warm sun slicing them, putting dried basil, canning salt, and coarse black pepper on the slices and ate half of them ! Ended up putting two trays in the dehydrator....will be so good to snack on....

10. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

I raise the early girl tomato, small, so I can them whole in wide mouth pints. I have a juicer so I make juice first, pack the jars with tomatoes, add hot tomato juice and pressure can them. Tastes just like the Hunts from the store, nice thick juice. I can plain juice, tomato sauce with onion and peppers and chili sauce. Fry a little meat and onion, add a pint of chili sauce and a can of beans, let simmer for an hour on the wood stove, dig in....James

11. MariaAZ

MariaAZ Suburban Homesteader

I'm dehydrating tomatoes too, also stewing and freezing. Haven't started canning yet, as I have to take the lid & seal of my canner to the ag extension office to have it tested.

Salsa though... I do that fresh. My favorite is a raw salsa that is soooo easy to make. Chop half a bunch of fresh cilanto, an onion, a bell pepper, 4-5 medium sized tomatoes and jalapeno to taste (optional, for the heat.) Combine with one clove minced garlic, the juice of one key lime (or regular lime or lemon juice to taste), salt and pepper.

I actually make it in my food processor, easy easy easy!! Put the cilantro and garlic in first and pulse until the cilantro is chopped up a bit. Add an onion, quartered, and pulse until it is chopped to the size you want, then add the tomatoes and pulse until chopped. Salt, pepper and lime/lemon juice to taste and it's ready for the table.

12. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

jwal10 - I never thought about using my juicer when canning tomatoes etc.! Thanks for the idea! I'm going to try it this year. I am going to have a bazillion tomatoes to process this fall!!! :)

13. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Do tomato jelly...NOT preserves, JELLY.

Looks like a ruby when you look through the jar of jelly and the taste is a soft/sharp sweet-sour that will have people talking about your jelly forever. One of the finer things in life...

Mon

14. NickieL

NickieL Accidental Farmer

I jsut picked my FIRST tomato of the year :(

15. ChristyACB

ChristyACB Well-Known Member

Ooo....I would like to know how to make tomato jelly....

I just canned up some tomatoes from the garden today. I have far fewer tomato plants this year since I got whammied by the weather. I won't get as many but I'll can all I can.

Canning tomatoes is the easiest and safest of all things to can first while you're learning.