Tomatoes loves_________

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by greenboy, Sep 11, 2005.

1. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

We have a small garden in the back of the house, and I have no space to spare, I must plant tomatoes every year, but I want to know which plants do well with tomatoes? I planted this year eggplants and they seems they like each other. Open for suggestions.

2. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

From John Jeavons' book "How to Grow More Vegetables" - companions for tomatoes are: chives, onions, parsley, asparagus, marigolds, nasturtiums, carrots. Antagonists are: kohlrabi, potatoes, fennel, cabbage.

I wouldn't recommend planting the asparagus though because as you let it grow after the picking season it will get so high that you won't be able to see the tomatoes!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

One place I lived I only had sun in the front of the house, so I planted tomatoes in the flower beds and filled in with flowers. They did fine.

4. SonomaGirl

SonomaGirl Member

Basil, basil and more basil!! It's probably the best companion plant for tomatoes, and the leaves (obviously) go beautifully with tomatoes in salads and sauces. It has the added benefit of being a natural bug repellant AND making your garden smell wonderful.

This is an almost daily staple for me right now: sliced heirloom tomatoes layered with basil leaves and slices of fresh mozzarella, drizzled with good olive oil and a touch of balsamic vinegar (and a sprinkle of sea salt). Best salad ever!

5. yellowlab2

yellowlab2 Well-Known Member

We got a book from Gurneys this spring called Tomatoes love Carrots. Full of that kind of info. Hope this helps, Bob

6. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

You really answer my question!!! Thanks a million.