Tomatoes in containers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cheryl in SD, May 28, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

And peppers for that matter.

I have such a short season here that I am wondering if instead of planting my tomatoes and peppers in the garden, could I plant them in 5 gallon buckets on the front porch? I could them bring them in on cold nights and GREATLY extend my season.

Also, could I do a mini lasagna layering in the buckets? I have a lot of manure and hay from my barn, grass clippings and soil. What do you think?

How would you layer it or would you?

I am only doing this as an experiement, my mom has most of my plants at her place where they will do well, but I kept two of each to try something different and see if I could get them to grow here.

THANKS!

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Peppers are easier in pots but tomatoes work, too. Since it's a pot, go easy on the layering but it shouldn't hurt; I've grown mine in soil and ground leaves. Make sure you have drainage holes but you knew that. Moving a full sized tomato is awkward and, unless you're using a sterile potting mix, I wouldn't recommend bring it "inside" because of bugs; perhaps a sheltered porch?

3. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Both will do well, determinate tomatoes (set a lot of fruit at once, supposedly don't keep getting taller all season) will do better than indeterminate (keep getting taller as long as they live) varieties. As for using the layering method in pots, sorry, it doesn't work well for me. I get better results composting the stuff then using compost mixed with a bit of sand and some peat moss to fill pots. In pots the plants are so much easier to cover than if they were in the garden. Put in a heavy duty support before you fill the pot, I like heavy duty fencing formed into a circle and put in the bucket. Peppers don't need a support. Add some source of calcium like dried ground eggshells, calcium tables broken and powdered, or crushed oystershell. I prefer the oystershell because of convenience.

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

I grew brandyine tomatoes (indeterminate) and peppers together in planters on my fire escape in Boston for several years. They did very well. You have to water constanly though. Sometimes twice daily.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

There are determinate varieties of tomatoes bred specifically for container gardening. One that's popular with customers at the flower farm is Patio.

The trick with container gardening is to use VERY light potting medium, and to water frequently. Like Vicker said, you may have to water twice a day. It's important to keep the plant fed, too -- that light mix lets the nutrients and water go through amazingly fast!

I really like the idea of extending the season by using pots! This year, I'm going to give it a shot with a couple plants. And for the sake of convenience, I've planted a large pot with herbs to keep right by the back door. :)

Pony!
    :hobbyhors