Tomatoes ID

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moopups, Oct 28, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Had lunch out today and the salad had very small tomatoes, about the size of olives and the shape of eggplant, excellent flavor, any one have a name for these?

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

those sound like grape tomatoes, sweet little things.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Among the other heirloom tomatoes I grew this summer, I also grew these grape kind. I can't for the life of me remember their real name, but they are for sure a treat! :) I had a hard time, in fact, getting out of the tomato garden and into the house with them. :haha: I'd pick them and wrap with fresh basil, and sit and eat right there. I have a mess of them frozen for winter treats, too.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Virtually all grape tomatoes on the market are now Santa F2 or F3. One company had the exclusive rights to the Santa F1 hybrid for a certain length of time. That expired early in 2004. Since the Santa F2s produced 98% true to the original, many companies produced their own seeds but could not call them anything other than simply "Grape". When the rights expired this year, some companies called them Santa and at least one called them Santa Sweet. Regardless, they all had the same original line which began with Juliet in 1999.

Martin

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I had the best little toms about two years ago, they grew in clusters like grapes, but were a little bigger. They were called sweet 100, I believe they are now called sweet 1,000. I had a HUGE crop of them. They were the absolute best. Tried with toms this year, had a mediocre crop at best, not prepared for the lousy conditions this year :waa:

6. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

This year I grew "Juliet Hybrid" from Ferry-Morse. I wanted the tiny grapes, cuz they are so sweet, and expensive in the stores. These were the size of a small Roma. Not what I had in mind ,but........very prolific , huge, rambling plants that are still producing. Tasty and a handy size. Will be curious to see what the seeds will produce next year. Already have a lot of volunteers that will sadly die when it freezes.

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Jack, don't hold your breath waiting for the small Juliets to return. There's a long story as to why but I'll be brief. Juliet F1 became obsolete as soon as Santa F1 was created. It was too large and too bland. Only the original 1999 release was a one-bite tomato. When the second round of Juliet seeds were distributed in 2003, only Johnny's Selected Seeds knew that it was a different tomato. They listed it as a salad and sauce plum tomato in their catalog. All other companies thought that Juliet was still a grape tomato. Thus there has been a lot of disappointed gardeners the past two seasons. Unlike the Santa where the F2s are almost always true to the original, Juliet F2s are the exact opposite with most plants having the larger 3-bite fruit.

Martin

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

If you don't mind a slightly larger grape-type tomato with incredibly good flavor, I had great success with Riesentraube this year. In fact, I have a mess in the freezer, waiting for me to make my first batch of tomato wine with it.

Get the seeds here:

www.underwoodgardens.com

Pony!

9. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

The grape tomatoes we grow are called Navidad. I've trialled some others, but this one has the best taste so far.

10. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Could you think of them as pear shaped? I've grown them in red and yellow. They're quite nice, too.