Tomatoes --- are you still picking?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrygrrrl, Sep 19, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm having a hard time believing it, but I'm still picking mountains of tomatoes.

I wish I would have had the good sense to weigh --- I'd love to know how much I've gotten so far this year. Or maybe it's just that I've been picking continuously for several weeks now, and they're still coming.

I am VERY pleased --- this is my first time growing heirlooms (I think :rolleyes: :D ) --- and they've ended up being much more productive than any other tomato I've ever grown.

I also did kind of intensive planting --- lots of plants in a small space --- and wasn't sure how it would work --- but it's been great.

Is anyone else still picking tomatoes? :)

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Yes I'm still picking but didn't have one ripe San Marzano until 8/29 from 8 plants started late May--had a few grapes from volunteers before that. Been drying nearly everything and have a gallon bag full. What does that equal "wet" in pounds?

The supermarket "cluster" tomato seeds I planted around July 4th are producing clusters on all but 1 plant. Fruits aren't as big as "mama" but it's a cool year and they're still quite green; I plan to trial them again with an earlier start.

katy

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I wish i could remember exactly when I started picking this year. I do know it was a slow start because the summer was so cool --- and I just don't quite remember ever picking for this long.

The gallon bag = a whole lot! :)

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We are still picking from plants that produced their first ripe tomatoes in June! Romas are supposed to be determinates, but I guess no one told them that.

5. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Our tomatoes have finally quit. They were in decline for a couple weeks,now. They were a ----Boy, can't remember. This was a first year for the Roma type and we are very impressed with how they produced. The last of them, very few left, are nearly ripe, but the vines are withered and bowed to the ground fromthe sheer weight of all the tomatoes they produced. Next year I will be sure to trim some of the vines back and tie them better. In spite of the rainy start, we are well pleased with how all the garden produced......Margo

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Yes, i am still picking tomatoes, but i always do up until frost every year. i then take in a whole bunch of green tomatoes for delayed ripening and pies and frying. by now i am very sick of beans and tomatoes. also getting a little tired of stuffed bell peppers. me DH loves them and makes them at least once a week while we have fresh peppers.
    Things are starting to get pretty dry here though. they may slow down till it rains.

7. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Picked all the decent sized ones tonight whether red or green as
    we had a warning of "frost pockets." Also picked the rest of the
    eggplants, peppers, basil, 6 butternuts and one pumpkin. The others
    will have to take their chances, as they really need more time to
    mature.
    But if the rest of you are tired of picking, I can send some frost your
    way, and that will end your torture. :)
    Ann

8. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I actually have been counting, more or less, since I picked my first tomato back in early July. I have picked about 600 cherry tomatoes and about 170 full-size ones. And this from just four regular and two cherry tomato plants. All hail the miracle of bunny poop!

It's starting to get chilly at night, but this week is supposed to be sunny and warm. I'm hoping for one last picking as the ones still on the vine ripen. I'm also going to put on some plastic hoop covers soon, so maybe I can extend the season a little more...

I'm not tired of tomatoes yet!

9. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Yes we are still picking in zone 8. What do we do with them all? This was our first year at a large market garden. Our customers are all far away. The ones closer are great but we didn't go to market Saturday or Sunday because it rained. Can you can tomatoes without a pressure canner? We raised mostly Celebrity. DH eats a lot of them too but can't eat them all.

10. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

You can absolutely can tomatoes in a boiling water bath. I did a bunch of mine this way. I add a little lemon juice to each pint jar to up the acidity a little and then boil the jars for 30 minutes. If you're adding other stuff, I think you just have to watch the proportions of less acidic ingredients (like green pepper, onion, etc.) to make sure the acidity level doesn't get too low.

11. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I've been freezing my tomatoes. I only make chili out of them . I just cut out the stem and throw them whole into the blender and then freeze. some I liquefy and some I just chop enough to be cut up. I do this with cherry tomatoes too. I picked two walmart bags last night of cherries, maybe 30 lbs. and got around 8 quarts.

have my freezer full though so will need to start canning or drying.

katydidonce, after you dry your tomatoes, how do you store them? My sil has one of those vacuum pack thingies, do you just vacuum pack them and store them in a cupboard? I had a dryer once I picked up at an auction but never even tried it, gave it away to sils mother.

here in indiana, I rarely get tomatoes before end of july. so still getting them this time of year is typical for us. still get them up to frost in october but they seem to get a rotten or bad taste the cooler the weather gets.

trixiwick, what are you going to use to cover your hoops with? I was hoping to build a greehouse hoop house for next year for tomatoes but wondered what to cover it with.

mel-

12. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

:waa: No I should have been. the wet weather we had made my babies get diseased. Mountains and mountains fo LARGE tomatoes and romas gone! :waa:

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Kathy

13. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Mel - I got some flexible hoops with a plastic sheet that fits over them, from Territorial Seed Co. The plastic is very lightweight and perforated. Haven't used it before, so I can't say how well it works. I hope to be able to go another week or two before I put it on, because I'm going to have to take down the cages (about 4' high) the remaining tomatoes are on.

14. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Yep, still picking. Getting kind of tired of it. :haha: I have this one snow white plant (a yellow cherry) that just keeps growing and just tossing out tomatoes everywhere, it's obnoxious.