Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's officially Tomato Time!

I have two gallon-sized ziplock bags stuffed full of lovely, sweet ripe Sungold cherry tomatoes. Everybody raves about how wonderful they are but they're not getting eaten! If I set up a sale table I could sell them by the pint...maybe next year. I took some to church - coffee hour after service - and nobody ate them. I guess I'll end up making them into sauce. Lovely, sweet orange tomato sauce.

I got my first-ever Cherokee Purple! Sliced one up for dinner. WOW, that is a good tomato! Very sweet. I highly recommend it. Still not as good, I think, as my favorite German Queen...but I'm still waiting on her Majesty so these will do!

Got a few Better Boys...they're such a lovely color of orange-red, nice and round and uniform compared to the crazy shaped Cherokees. :D Got a few Juliets too. Juliets are supposed to be grape tomatoes, I thought. Mine are 3" long. :shrug: More like small plums.

I'm still waiting on the Brandywines, German Queen, and Jubilee.

Yes, I'm a tomato addict. But I don't plan on changing. :) I also have harvested plenty of jalapenos; the bell peppers are pathetic.

My pumpkins are already done for the year! I have 5 small ones sitting on the kitchen counter. It seems very early for them. One vine is still alive with a little pumpkin but the rest have died and they're hard and orange. I think the squash vine borer got 'em; I expected at least one variety to get much bigger. The zucchini & yellow squash look a little stressed but are still producing. We'll see. I wonder if it's too late to start new plants?

Gourds are going like crazy; I should have plenty for crafts. They're the birdhouse gourd type -- that's what I want to do with them, make bird houses. :D

How are your gardens going?

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I don't like tomatos but I do like cherokee purple and black krim.

Cherokee purples tend to have fewer seeds and I've found them for that reason to be nice to work with for recipes.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I have Juliets also..they have been coming ripe for a while now actually the 1st type this season. I also have some black krims that are doing well, green zebras , Arkansas travelers are doing well too. Funny you should say your peppers are not doing well...mine look pathetic too :( have this wonderful rainbow assortment planted res,orange,purple and chocolate bells and none are doing worth a flip.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My garden isn't doing well. It's all organic and I'm working toward a plan that will produce better results (without using chemicals) in a couple more planting seasons.

·
Registered
630 Posts
We had such a drought and cool weather, we didn't even get tomatoes.

:Bawling:

Can you send a bag down here? I've had to eat grocery store junk all summer. :Bawling:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes

Preparation time Definitely a little time-consuming, but an impressive appetizer or side dish for those fancier occasions

Ingredients 1 pint cherry tomatoes, washed
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp. seasoned salt
Paprika

Method-- Slice off the top of each tomato and gently scoop out pulp with a small spoon. Combine cream cheese, green onions and seasoned salt together and mix well with a hand mixer until smooth. Spoon mixture into tomatoes and sprinkle with paprika

The Skinny: Use light cream cheese.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts