tomato with black ends

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tnborn, Jul 1, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I was wondering what is causing the green tomatoes to have black on them. Look like they are trying to rot before they turn red.I was wondering if a worm caused this or what. We have no rain but I have been watering the garden late in the afternoon.
    tnborn

2. justanacre

justanacre Member

Blossom end rot maybe?

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

It does indeed sound like blossom end rot. This is a physiological condition brought on by uneven soil moisture and aggravated by a lack of calcium in the soil. So:

Make sure your tomatoes stay evenly moist. MULCH, MULCH, MULCH! This really helps keep the drying effects of the sun and wind from your soil. Pay attention to how much water you are giving when you water them. Tomato roots can go 18" or more into the ground and the entire root zone needs water.

Save eggshells, crush them when they're dry, and work them into the soil around your plants. Be careful not to damage their roots, though. There are also sprays you can buy that will help.

It's frustrating, but I've found that the stress of having this condition actually spurs the fruit on to ripen sooner. Just cout off the damaged parts and enjoy your tomatoes!