Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a few standard varieties we plant but looking for recommendations for varieties that will keep going when the temp gets in the 90's--generally our plants slow down,then most types put on new blossoms and we get tomatoes well into late fall but last year they just plain quit:mad: Had enough early ones to can the usual 100 qts. but sure did miss fresh ones. DEE

·
Registered
293 Posts
i grew some roma tomatoes last year for the first time. i live south of the mason/dixon line and had quite a bounty. they grew all summer and on into the cool temps of fall.

the sauce i was able to can from them was excellent and i will grow them again.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Sioux performed very well for me this year
Jet star
Arkansas Traveler
Delicious
Pineapple

I was raised in MO - you just think you have hot summers. For more humidity - move just a bit further south and east.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread! We usually get 2 weeks or so of temps around 100+ and that's when my tomatoes just give out. I am going to try a couple of heat-resistant varieties suggested here and also some mild shade netting for protection during that time.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
When temps are that hot, tomatoes can't pollinate. When it cools back down they will start up again. Just like green beans.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
One I am going to try this year thats supposed to take the heat is Sunmaster II hybred. I have ordered the seeds from Twilley Seed co. Eddie Buck

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

TSG puts out a wonderful catalog, with a wide variety of tomatoes. check out the online catalogue and read the descriptions. You might find something there.

ETA since I got interrupted: I believe that Garden Web has a tomato forum. Give them a holler.

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I live on the high desert of Central Oregon where it is normal to have days or even weeks of 100+ degrees in the summer. Celebrity and Roma did WONDERFUL for me and I even had them on the south side right next to the mobile home metal siding. I did have to make sure that they had water at least 3 times a day but I was amazed at home many tomatoes I got - I even picked some last weekend when I was taking down the vines!!!

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
All tomato varieties are able to withstand very high temperatures but their pollen cannot. Most will liquefy between 80ºF and 85ºF. With most summer growth taking place during the cooler nighttimes, they're fine as long as the nights are in the 70s for a number of hours. When the nights are 80º or above, even blossom production stalls. The supposed champion of handling heat and humidity is Creole which was developed by LSU. When my son was looking around for tomato seeds in Barranquilla, Colombia, Creole was the only variety available for outdoor growing there.

Martin

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
We've had good luck with Heatwave; it produces later into the hot (but fairly dry) summers here than any other variety I've tried.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts