Tomato Stakes ???????

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NWSneaky, Feb 22, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Howdy. Anyone have suggestions for economical tomato stakes?
    TIA.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Grey PVC sliced at an angle is easy to drive into the soil, the grey holds up better than the white in the sunlight. Should last for years.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm making tomato cages out of the wire stuff they use to reinforce concrete. We have a lot of it left over from when our house was built. My mom says it makes the best tomato cages.

All stakes/trellises/etc. that I build for my garden this year will be made from the willows my husband cut down around the pond. I made him save all of them for me...they've made great roosts for the chicken house too!

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

then you can water and feed through the pvc gets to the roots where its needed

5. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

Last year most of my stakes broke under the weight of my tomatoes :no: So this year I am going to drive in pieces of Rebar to use as stakes.
    Also, conduit is great too, lucky for me the hubby has tons of that laying around!

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

My beds are 3 x 10 feet. Hubby is putting in t-posts and field fence right down the center of each bed, longways, so I can tie up anything that has a mind to ramble, or could be taught to go up instead of out. We'll see how it works this year!

Meg

7. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:) Hello from the Market Gardener again.Been down in the back so as the wife says been on here to much lately.The way we do it here is with field fence you know regular farm fence streached and put in place with T post,put it up after you till then plant the tomato right next to it 4 feet apart or 3 and you have your support and stake at the same time.For a rule put one post every 10 ft along the wire.If you have a small garden a cattle pannel and two post one on each end will last a live time and since they are 16 feet long you have room for 4 or 5 tomatos.As the tomato grows tie it to fence or pannel with old sheet thet has been ripped into strips

8. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I've found that bamboo works great as well, leaving part of the branches on helps to tie up the vine.
    We have an abundant supply of B-boo here :) and it adds a little jungle effect to the garden...lol

9. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I use cages made from fencing wire. It has 4" holes. It is sturdy enough to hold the plants and easy to reach through the fence to get the ripe fruit. I also use old coffee cans & jugs with bottoms removed 'planted' in the soil next to the tomatoe plants. The jugs are inverted, bottom up. These are my waterers.