tomato seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Nov 29, 2004.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Anyone interested in some seeds? I'd like to try a few of totally tomatoes
    seeds....however, 30+ to a packet will be too much, and next year I'd like to try different ones....as well as these are all open pollinated, so I can save seeds from what I really like..... Anyone interested in some tomato and pepper seed?

If you've got the catalogue....these are the ones that are catching my eye....

Pizza pepper (pepper)
    Abraham Lincoln (tom)
    Burpee Delicious (tom)
    Caspian Pink (tom)
    Burpee Long Keeper (tom)
    Sausage (tom)
    Vera Tomato Pepper (tom)
    Black Plum (tom)
    Brown Berry (tom)
    Mexican Sour Gherkin (cuke)

2. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

What a great idea. In fact, i thought of it last year. But got no takers. I wanted to get thirty people to go in on the idea. I would chip in half. Infact if we could get about 30 people to chip in $10-20 we could just try them all. I would love to try all of them. Or maybe we could all indivualing buy 5 packets each, rate them and save seed for everyone else next year.

randy

3. suelandress

well....I ordered them. I will probably use 6-8 of each.....

4. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I plan on ordering quite a few different seeds, how about a swap?

5. suelandress

sure. whatcha got comin? :D

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Bonnie,

Good selection of tomatoes on your list and most worthy of saving seeds for future years. However, seed savers suggested minimum isolation for L. pimpinellifolium is 150 feet from any L. lycopersicon variety. That means that you want to plant the Gold Rush as far away as possible if you want reasonably pure seeds from the other varieties.

Martin

7. suelandress

LOL you want a thread that doesn't side track? Not on the HT forum :haha:

I'd be interested in the mini bell peppers for sure. Can you tell me a bit about the cukes?

8. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Thanks for the good advice, Paquebot. My garden is an odd setup, it goes around the corner, so 150ft might be doable. Sue, I have not grown the seeds I want to order before, but I can give you the catalog description. Mini bell peppers, from Territorial Seed Co, "This impressive miniature really pumps out the peppers! Expect up to 75 peppers per plant". Cukes, "homemade pickles" from Territorial, "60 days. The vigorous 5 foot vines exhibits excellent disease resistance, and yields armloads of solid, crisp cucumbers.", "double yield" from Seed Savers, "The remarkable thing about this new (1924) cucumber is its wonderful productiveness. For every pickle that is cut off, two or three more are produced." Parisian Pickling, from Seed Savers, ""..known in Europe as Improved Bourbonne..used extensively for the manufacture of gherkins or cornichons in the late 1800's..". Jamaican, from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, "65 days. Gherkin type, very similar to West Indian gherkin, but was much earlier and more productive.", Boston pickling, from Baker creek, "51 days. Introduced in 1880, a moderately short, plump pickling cucumber", and Chicago pickling, from Baker Creek, "55 days. Excellent short, fat pickling type that holds up well to insects and disease. Introduced in 1888." Whadaya think?

9. suelandress

Hmmm the mini bells and the double yield cukes. :D
    Which are you interested in, and how many of each do you want to swap?

10. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Howdy Sue,

I just got MY TT catalog too ansd saw the Mexican Sour Gherkins on the back. They describe them as having a "pickled" taste. In THAT case... I wonder how you PICKLE them???

As far as tomatoes, I use the Ultra Sweet from www.stokesseeds.com and the old standby, ROMAs.

If I do anything any different with tomatoes, it will just be to plant some Early Girl, or some other early(ier) variety and let the Ultras be my late crop. Mmmmm, they're soooooooooo sweet. Everybody LOVES them. Here

11. suelandress

Yeah, pickles right off the vine :D I thought that sounded neat. However, I got my order in yesterday, and they are backordered :(

12. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Decisions, decisions, argh!! I think I'm leaning towards the Abe Lincoln and Caspian Pink (tho I'm tempted by the pizza peppers). The mini bells have approx 35 seeds per pack and the double yield have 25 seeds. Just let me know how many you want because I am growing WAY more than I need. Also, I have not placed my order yet, so if anyone else is interested, I can double up.

13. suelandress

Wanna swap 6 of each?

14. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Sounds good to me. I'll probably order this week, I'll let you know when.

15. suelandress

Pizza Peppers are BO also, but I would expect they will arrive well before planting time starts.
    Well, I'm assuming :eek: Where in the country are you? We usually start our seeds in mid March

16. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

On the cranberry bogs, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, zone 7-ish. We've had a very mild winter so far, in fact I worked in the garden yesterday turning the compost pile. The kale, parsley and onions are still going and the saffron crocuses I planted this year are coming up.

17. suelandress

LOL Well, I'm watching the snow fall as I read your response :D I lived in MA most of my life, so I know one thing for sure....you can't count on the weather doing anything but what you least expect :haha: :haha: CT is not much better, but then, we are right up by the MA border.
    Let me know when you get your order and we'll swap what we have. I do hope they get those cukes in. I can live without the pizza peppers, but those little gherkins have me curious as can be.

18. suelandress

The cukes came today! Still no pizza peppers......

19. suelandress

Pizza Peppers came today :D

20. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Well I'll be, we're neighbors!! I have to confess I haven't ordered my seeds yet. I've been dragging my feet a little because I have more catalogs coming. I promise to order by this weekend, and I'll keep you posted. Thanks!! Bonnie