Tomato Seedlings

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jessikate, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

I have a whole bunch of Tomato Seedlings that I started about five weeks ago. They all have real leaves, but they have not gained much in height. i'd say they are all aobut 2-3 inches tall and staying at that height. I have five diffrent varieties, and they all are behaving like this. They live inside for now, in their own little pots.

What can I give to them to encourage thier growth. Right now they are in seed starter soil but when they are replanted they will go into well drained soil that the rest of my veggies seem to like. Our growing season is so short I would like to "force" these tomatos a little in order to be able to harvest out doors, rather than dig them up and bring them in when it starts to frost.

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Are you fertilizing them?

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Get those plants out into regular soil. Obviously they don't like where they are growing, or trying to grow. I've got perfect examples right now. There are some "insurance" seedlings still in similar pots and doing nothing. Those in the ground are 3 times bigger. Small plants don't need such a long time to recover from transplant shock as a larger plant would require. Each transplanting is a root pruning, even though the tiny feeder roots may not be readily visible.

Martin

4. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Ditto what Martin said. I have plants still indoors under lights and plants from the same batch outside . The outside plants are "much" bigger than their inside sisters. Put 'em outside!!!
    Barry
    Indianapolis

5. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys, I transplanted about half of them to the garden and the other ones are still inside ( i ran out of room) as "insurance" plants!