Tomato Seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Mar 26, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I bought some Arkansas Traveller Tomato Seed.Since it is so close to planting time can I just plant the seed directly in the ground?I thinking I will have some plants to set out,and these will just give me late Tomatos.

Hey I got a big bag of Hickory Cane Corn to.Thinking of trying the Three Sisters thing :D

big rockpile

2. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Big Rockpile,
    Unless you're someplace really warm, you should maybe just start your seeds indoors. I'm still starting a few seeds indoors yet for planting here in Indiana. Where are you located?
    Barry
    Indianapolis

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I'm southern Missouri,our last chance Frost is April 15 I think.

big rockpile

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Tomato seeds need warmth to germinate. They are likely to rot before sprouting in cool soil. Unless you have seed to waste, you might be happier with the result if you start them indoors.

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Ours is April 28th, and I'm sure it'll be frost-free under that nice blanket of snow :waa: Ahh well, a few days of warmth this week....maybe it'll all melt :worship: My tomato seeds sprouted in 3 days this year...they LOVE the woodstove!!!

6. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I would start them inside. Lots easier telling them apart from the spring weed crop.

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

You'll probably have greater success starting them indoor. They should do alright outside once the soil is warm enough for germination. All the volunteer seedlings from tomatoes I didn't clean up the previous season do alright.

8. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

I just started the last of my tomato seeds this past weekend...indoors...in flats covered in clear plastic...under lights. They sprout in less than a week then I remove the plastic and keep the flourescent light fixture as close to them as I can without touching them...raising the lights as they grow. People here usually want them on or around Mothers Day. Doing this the past couple of years I've really seen the difference that the warmth makes...even starting seeds indoors. I've been keeping a small space heater in the area where my seeds are...really helps. Starting seeds outdoors at this time in zone 5, I think, would prove to be waste of time.
    Barry
    Indianapolis

9. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Start them inside just for "accounting" purposes. That is, you'll know that what comes up is exactly what was planted and not a cherry volunteer. It will also account for the often 10% of no-shows with purchased seed.

You don't have to wait until you have a 6 inch tall plant before setting them out. Although I normally like to see 2 sets of true leaves, I have often set out tomato seedlings with only the cotyledon leaves. They catch up to larger plants and ripen at the normal time anyway.

Martin

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I am in michigan. I am starting all of my seeds indoors.