Tomato Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leslie, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

I REALLY should know this....however I must ask. Does anyone know how long it take to go from tomato flower to ripe tomato? I replanted in July and have 70+ flowers. I have approx. 60 days til my freeze date. I've got Celebrity, Stripy, and Golith. My eggplant are like machines. They flowered at the same time (about 10 days ago) and they are already setting veggies. Any help here would be great. Thanks.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Celebrity and Goliath are both listed at around 70 days from transplant. That means that they take that long to make a proper root system before setting fruit. Also, if it's been hot in your area, most tomato pollen melts at 80F and the blossoms won't be pollinated.

If Stripey is the Mr. Stripey sold at Home Depot and other large outlets, it's definitely later than the other two. Most sources list at least 80 days. When I grew it last year, it was well into the 90s before the first ripe fruit.

If you still have 60 days to frost, there's a good chance that you'll have one massive fruit-set shortly and then plenty of time to ripen the Celebrity and Goliath. Goliath is one which may produce fruit over a pound so they do take awhile to accomplish that. Next year, plant 2 months earlier.

Martin

3. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

I didn't know that pollen melted at a certain temperature. That may explain a thing or two. The rule that I heard was when daytime heat is over 92 and evening lows are hotter than 75 they will shed blossoms. Thanks for that tidbit. I really can't plant earlier than I did. It's a Texas heat thing you see... I plant my first group of tomatoes in mid March. But it often gets so hot that they croak by August (or in my case July). The NEXT batch goes in 12 to 14 weeks before the AFD. My AFD is Nov. 17th. so I planted earlier than I should have by planting the end of July. If we get a rare wet coolish summer (like last summer) tomatoes can be pruned back instead of replanted. I only mention that because Mr. Stripey was my only July tomato plant that wasn't dead. I pruned him and he produced flowers (amazing because he hadn't produced a thing all year). Summer season is tricky and years past were a failure due to heat. This year we mulched 10 inches with hay and put down lots of soaker hose underneath. Wow it's amazing! I have big plants and lots of flowers. But this may be meaningless now :( . Our days are in the upper 90's still so the pollen in those flowers may all be ruined. At least if they fail to produce I'll know why. Thanks tons for your response. -Leslie