Tomato Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by oz in SC, Jul 4, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

What kind of symptoms would my tomato plants have if I have overwatered?? I have some that are thriving and look great, and others that have curling leaves, some of which have turned brown. The amount of watering between them would be slightly different because of there location........the ones with curling and brown leaves receiving more water. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Overwatering shouldn't do that (although it can kill plants) - sounds like you have a blight. Before you panic though, remember I am only guessing based on this one post. Early blight starts with brown spots on the leaves, the edges of the spots are sometimes yellow and you can see rings inside the spots. The lower leaves are affected first, they turn yellow (after the spots), then brown and dry. Blight is a fungal disease but watering can play a part if you splash soil or spores onto the plant. Bacterial canker also causes brown leaves - I would definately start checking for pictures of tomato diseases.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Mrs Oz,did you mulch around them?That really helps keep the ground water fluctuations under control.

BooBoo

4. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hi mrs oz,

straw, fresh straw, a few inches thick around your toms and beans, do wonders for things like fungus, where the spores splash up from the dirt onto the leaves when it rains or when you water.

debbie