Tomato question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by caryatid, Jun 8, 2005.

1. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

The tips of my tomato plants are turning yellow, and the leaves are rather droopy.

Any idea what I"m doing wrong?

They are planted in full sun, I water regulary. Is that a sign of too much water? Not enough? Something else??

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I think they may be getting too much water. Just sprinkle water on them in the evenings. The plants can burn easily in the sun if you water them in the morning time around our part of the country.

3. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    That's what I was afraid of.
    When things are droopy, my first reaction is to water! I"m not used to gardening on this side of the Mississippi. :)

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I suggest not watering at night because it promotes disease. If you water the soil (not the plant's leaves) in the morning on a clear day the water that does get on the leaves will quickly evaporate.

I water deeply once a week if needed. Watering lightly encourages root growth near the top of the soil which dries out quickly. Deep watering encourages roots to grow deep in the soil where water doesn't evaporate. You'll have a much healthier plant if the roots are deep.

5. pompeiijazz98

pompeiijazz98 Member

I am growing them in pots on my deck, and I too had this problem; however, after feeding the plants, they came right back. Try 1 tea spoon of MG to 1 gallon of water every two weeks, and see if this does not help.

6. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member