Tomato plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ThreeCreeks, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks Member

We have some storebought (actually 4-H project) tomato plants that we just planted, about 6-8" tall. Don't know what variety. Some are already blooming/have little tomatos starting. Should I let these tomatos grow or pick them off until the plants get bigger?

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

If you aren't concerned about having the earliest tomato in the neighborhood, I'd pinch off those blooms to encourage a healthier and better developed root system.

I only have anecdotal evidence to go by, but my personal experience is that the plants that I transplanted with blooms that I let grow gave me earlier tomatoes but less overall production. The ones who I pinched blooms off of at transplant time had later production but were overall healthier plants that produced a lot more.

So, I guess the answer is ... It depends on what you want. A lot of tomatoes or early tomatoes.

Nikki

3. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks Member

More later is good for me, thanks for the advice.

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

My pleasure! Let me know how it works out for you and what varieties you end up with.

Nikki