Tomato insanity

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NativeRose, Apr 9, 2005.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I must be crazy! :D I have just transplanted 18 "heatwave" tomato plants and I have 2 brandywine heirloom and 10 celebrity and 4 cherry and I am going to be covered up with tomatoes if all goes well.

I also planted yellow squash, zucchini and some squash seed of an unknown variety( I lost the tag on the package) Cucumbers and lemon cucumbers and peppers and I am in for some work. Hubby is getting the pea patch ready and these muscles of mine are so sore. But just think all this good stuff and cornbread and don't forget the onion and the iced tea and good grief I am hungry all of a sudden.

Happy Gardening form one crazy gardner in Texas!

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, that's a good start, sweetie. You just keep a-goin' and you'll get the rest of the planting done... J/K!!! :haha:

Sounds like you've got quite a garden going there. :) For some reason, the muscle soreness from gardening is a good feeling, isn't it?

Blessings on your garden! May it nourish your soul as well as your body!

Pony!

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Gotta love those tomatoes! I planted half a dozen...each, of : Supersweet 100, Gardener's Delight, Yellow Pear, Red Pear, Alicante, Wisconsin 55, and about 2 dozen Romas. (I love tomatoes!)

Got everything else in, now, except the melons, and they go in today! Woohoo!!!

Meg

4. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I would tell you how many tomato plants I have sprouting in my dining room right now, but I'm too embarassed :eek:

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

What about sweet corn? I could just about live on it fresh from the garden!!! Yummm. I'm planting some this morning, if it doesn't rain me out.

6. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I have seeds from 6 different varieties growing, I bought some called giant white (don't know if they fruit white or not) and have 2 volunteers in the yard, already. One is big enough to identify by leaf type, so I am sure it is a yellow pear. The other is too light green to tell, only a few inches high.

I just got done planting yellow squash seeds in a bed I hope is gopher proof. Next to it, I set a wooden ammo box in the ground with a few holes for drainage that I felled with mulch and rabbit poo...the green beans will go in there.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm headed to the garden right now to set out my 22 tomato plants. Gonna plant some squash and whatever else strikes my fancy. Getting strawberry plants tomorrow to set out.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew some white tomatoes last year. The skin was a pretty off-white/pale green, the meat was greenish-pink. Sounds ugly, but it was pleasant to the eye, and tasty tasty tasty! :)

I laughed about the ammo box (because you mentioned it right after the gophers) and wondered if you has some sort of super-duper explosive gopher purge. Oh, I wish we did!

Pony!

9. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I guess I need a tomato straightjacket!

399 San Marzano, 41 Worlds Earliest, 36 Trip-L-Crop.

91 Tam Jalepenos, 54 Red Cheese Peppers, 67 Cayenne, 36 Paprika.

Gonna make a lot of salsa.

10. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I too suffer from this malady. 12 varieties of tomatoes( didn't start 6 or 8 other varieties). 10 varieties of peppers.
    Ed

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

alicante, 12
    tigerella 6
    roma 18
    black cherry 6
    cherry 12
    rutgers 18
    wis55 6
    arkansas traveller 16

i thoughti was perhaps not planting enough :D
    but we market garden , so its a different ballgame

12. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Ok I have to ask what you all do w/ all your tomatos!! I am wanting to plant some but we don't eat a lot of tomatos really. I was just gonna can them or something. What do all you guys do w/ your extra tomatoes. Most of my family has them falling out their ears so I don't really need to plant any but I wanna see if I CAN! HAHA!

13. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I have 30 waiting to go out into the garden or pots, haven't decided what I want to do with them. I love tomatoes, though.

Allenslab, I make salsa out of a lot of them, also spaghetti/pizza sauce. If you are in a hurry you can just wash them, core them and put them in freezer bags and freeze them. Later on they will be mooshy, but the skin will be easy to separate, and I only use them cooked anyway at that point. I also usually give tomatoes and eggs away every chance I get! This year I read that chickens like them, so they will get their share, since I love my girls.

hollym

14. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

What do I do with all my excess tomatoes (19 tomato plants, 2 person household):

Well, I have noticed that the number of folks calling me "friend" rises expotentially during harvesting months! :)

15. melwynnd

melwynnd living More with Less!

I am so jealous of all of you who can plant your tomatoes out right now :grump: . I have to wait at least another month :waa: . But of course they're already started and sitting on my kitchen table(with no chairs around it so the cat can't get to them :rolleyes: )

I won't tell you how many.

By the way, I don't think there is a thing that smells better than a tomato plant. It's so SUMMERY!!

Sherry

16. NativeRose

Well, given all the posts here I guess I am not the only one crazy about tomatoes. I have 6 kinds of peppers, eggplant and am going to try and get the corn in this week. It came a flood this morning...2+inches. It is supposed to be nice the rest of the week so if the ground will dry out some I will get some more planting done.

Happy planting y'all.

17. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

11 kinds of tomato
    7 kinds of peppers
    6 kinds of squash
    various salad fixins
    and a sampling of
    jicama
    peanuts
    huckleberries
    ground cherries

18. NativeRose

:haha: We could turn this into a song sung to the tune of "On The First Day of Christmas."

Sing along with me :D

On the first day of gardening this is what I planted
    a plum and a pear tree
    On the second day of gardening this is what I planted
    two rows of carrots and a plum and a pear tree
    On the third day of gardening this is what I planted
    three rows of corn,two rows of carrots and a plum and a pear tree :D

Any way it is too wet after the 2+ inch rain Monday to be out gardening so I am sitting here making up silly songs. Forgive me for my lapse into gardening dementia. :)

19. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

gardening dementia, wow i could live with that :D
    and here i was fretting cause it rained and rained,all day yesterdayand i cant plant anything now !!!!
    grrrrrr...
    i hate that, then it sprinkled this morn too....

the chickens have eaten several of my tomato plants down to just stems, what do tyou all think , should i leave the plants and hope for the best or can i use this as a good excuse to get MORE in the ground?

20. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I cut back this year and only started 20 Bloody Butchers and 8 Sweet 100's.

Last year I grew 30 Bloody Butchers, 30 Super Italian Pastes, 30 Roma VF's and 15 sweet 100's.

Decided this year I would fill the freezer with something besides spagetti sauce.