Tomato Cages

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by staceyfb, Jul 17, 2006.

1. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

What do you all use for tomato cages? I have a few plants that need to be caged, after looking all over I am 2 short and all of our local stores are sold out.

2. Outlaw9

Outlaw9 GO VOLS!!!!

If you find anyone getting a new AC unit the outside of it makes a great cage.
    The outside of the old one works good. Needed to clearify That

3. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Concrete reinforcement wire makes good ones the little ones you get at Menard's or Lowe's suck. :cowboy:

4. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

I used 4' field fencing for mine this year - we had it on hand and the tomatoes were growing like crazy. It worked out very well - they are the strongest cages I have had and I should be able to reuse them for many years. I probably could have found something less expensive to use had I searched in town, but I will never purchase premade tomato cages again - they are flimsy and only the bottom half to third of the tomatoes actually end up supported in the cages. These cages are taller and strong enough to support the plants. My garden has only been in about 5 weeks (very late due to various circumstances) but I already have some plants 6' tall and have been getting ripe tomatoes for almost 2 weeks.

Debbie

5. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I use standard wooden tomato stakes...I wouldn't want to drive one into the plant's roots now,though. I'm not sure that would be good. I ran out of stakes and a couple of my plants are on the ground. Happens every year...I just let them go and surprisingly,they do okay. To be sure,though,a terrapin will come along and bite every tomato I have :p
    One of these years,I won't come up short!

6. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I also use stakes. Put them in before you plant and tie the plant with soft cloth.

I've used the cages but they always fell over when the plant got big and sometime pulled the roots right out of the ground. Here the ground is too hard to even get thrm in very well and I threw them out.

Terrapins must be like gophers - just a bite out of everything. There is never enough stakes. I think the gophers hide some during the winter.

7. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

I found a tremendous way to "stake" tomatoes from Longwood Gardens. Drive a stake at each end of the tomatoe row. Depending on how long your row is, drive some in the middle about every 4-5 feet. I use metal T poles. Don't drive them near the tomatoes - in between them.

Take a roll of garden twine and tie it to the stake on one end. Leave a long enough 'tail so you can tie more string to it. Go down one side of the tomatoes. As you reach a stake wrap the string tighly around the next stake and go down to the next stake staying on the same side of the tomatoe row. Do this till you reach the end stake. Wrap around the end stake a couple of times and repreat the process going down the other side of the tomatoe row. Tie it off to the tail you left on the first stake. Your tomatoes should be between the strings so they don't tilt over. As the tomatoes grow just add a new set of string supports. IF you find your tomatoes sliding between the strings, just tie a small string between the two support strings so the strings are pulled together.

Harvesting is easy and the whole tomatoe gets sun. It works and is the easiest time I have had staking tomatoes in years.