Tomato Blight

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Barb, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Didn't check the garden for two days and when I did I discovered a disaster! I have about three dozen tomato plants, with fruit already setting on the plants, with blight. Almost every plant has it. Fugicide (sp?) is real costly for all these plants and I'm not happy about all those chemicals. I was counting on these tomatoes. Suggestions anyone?

2. emke

emke Well-Known Member

I am interested in an answer too. We had it and a book I read said to pull up the plants to keep it from spreading to the other plants. Some of the plants we pulled up had huge green tomatoes on them. Anything we can put on them to save them?

3. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

A Copper containing fungicide is the best treatment. This happened to us last year we treated too late. The plants were planted too close together, air could not circulate and we did not mulch. We tried to pull the tomatoes and save them. They rotted before they ripened.

4. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I think I'm getting senile :grit: Last year I noticed a couple of plants with blight (Septoria) and I pulled them up and burned them. Stupid me I forgot about it and planted the tomatoes in the same spot. First mistake - a bad one.

Second mistake was not remembering I have a Gardens Alive catalog. I bought fungicide at the store and it seems to have slowed the blight down but I can't keep applying this expensive "stuff" and I wonder what I will be eating. Remembered Gardens Alive and I 've sent for some organic spray (Soap Shield Fungicidal Soap). There was a coupon attached to my catalog and I 'm getting it for free :p . I hope my tomatoes hang on until it gets here.

GardensAlive.com

5. beginablarp

beginablarp Member

If all you have is early blight, don't go pulling out all your plants because the fruit is rarely affected. Septoria and early blight are foliar diseases. Also, before you go spending (lots of) money at gardens alive, check your local garden supply or co-op. They should have copper/ bordeaux powder which runs about $4-5.oo for a 1.5 lb can and should slow it down considerably. I have had blight every year that I've grown tomatoes (different place each time) and it never affected the yield a great deal. At the end of the season, the untreated plant looked kind of naked and whatever tomatoes were left got a bit of sunscald. This is the first year I've treated the blight and I do see a difference. Next year I'm just going to lay down wheat straw or mulch to keep the water from splashing the leaves and spreading the blight. Don't panic, there are worse garden pests out there.

6. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Beginablarp - A little blight I could deal with. Last year the plants I pulled weren't producting much so I pulled the whole plant. I usually just pull off the affected branches and burn them and my plants look a little ragged at the end of the season but this was really bad. I have never had it spread so fast. When I saw it, at least half of each plant was infected and dying. I already have naked plants. It took most of the branches with the blossoms. My season isn't that long here and I may not have time for a good comeback. I had straw already mulched around the plants from the beginning. The spray from Gardens Alive I'm getting free with an online coupon. I will look for the copper powder tomorrow. If I can't find it here (which I doubt) I will look for it in the "big city" next time I go and have it for next year. Thanks for the info.

7. festio

festio Member

Barb, so sorry to hear of your tomato problem. I have used Dithane from our local co-op and this year used the Soap Shield and so far so good. I really left space around the plants this year and that has helped. Haven't lost any this year. Hope that was the end of your disease problems! Rita inTN

8. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Thanks Rita Still waiting for the Soap Shield but they seem to be hanging on and not getting worse. I've got straw and lots of space between the plants. I have no idea why it got so bad so fast. :shrug: