Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as a place to buy bulk tomatillos online? Reasonably. I tried ordering some from Azure Standard but, as usual, only part of my order is being delivered and those aren't in that part. I wish they'd get a good inventory/ordering system, but anyway.....I found one place but they want $100 for 10 lbs. I cannot find any locally. :(

I really, really, really like my tomatillos!

:sob::sob::sob:

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I have friends with an orchard and truck-garden who have a stand. They certainly don't charge $10/lb, but there would be shipping. How much do you want? I can ask them. They're thinking of selling seed garlic on line, as their elephant garlic is prolific and delicious, so I supposed they'd ship tomatillos.
Kit

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure what part of the state you are in, but over here on the western part we grow them in our gardens, and all the farmers markets seem to have veggie vendors with boxes full of them.

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have friends with an orchard and truck-garden who have a stand. They certainly don't charge $10/lb, but there would be shipping. How much do you want? I can ask them. They're thinking of selling seed garlic on line, as their elephant garlic is prolific and delicious, so I supposed they'd ship tomatillos.
Kit

I want as many as I can get. :D Depending on the price per pound, maybe a large flat rate box? I don't want to be too much trouble, though, so don't go way out of your way.

Thanks!

Not sure what part of the state you are in, but over here on the western part we grow them in our gardens, and all the farmers markets seem to have veggie vendors with boxes full of them.

I grew tons of them this year. Those suckers reseeded everywhere but no fruit. I think the warm part of the summer was too short. We had a frost in mid June and coolish weather til July and then our first frost at the beginning of this month and a hard freeze about 10 days later. None of my warmer weather crops did squat this year. Last year none of the fruit got bigger than dime size and turned mushy about that size. I've got to figure out what I'm doing wrong. :(

Our nearest farmers market is an hour away and I don't want to go all that way for no reason. I've tried calling the managing person but they say they don't know and can't find out. :mad:

·
Dallas
13,851 Posts
They sell them down here for around $1.79 a pound.
Might be worth a drive to Texas when they're wanting $10 a pound up there.
Very little fruit on mine this year, last year I had a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
They sell them down here for around $1.79 a pound.
Might be worth a drive to Texas when they're wanting $10 a pound up there.
Very little fruit on mine this year, last year I had a lot.
They freeze fairly well if you cook them first, too, or they keep for weeks in the husk. When I find them on sale, I often buy a 10-20 pounds, dice them, boil them until they fall apart, and then freeze them by the quart in mason jars.

I've had more than one cashier give me a funny look when I start unloading giant bags of tomatillos onto the conveyor belt at the grocery store ... LOL.

They are somewhat temperamental about setting fruit -- either you'll get enough for several years, or none. They do need a long growing time and hate frost, so if you have a short season, you'd want to do everything you could to get them started early. You might try black or red plastic around the plants at the beginning of the season to get 'em going early.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I spoke with the farmers today, and they said $1.50/lb plus postage. They'd send you whatever amount you want, and they take credit cards so it wouldn't be a hassle. They are great people and have good fruit and veggies, so I can recommend them.
I pick up their leftover produce for my pigs so I see them nearly every day. If you're serious, PM me I'll get the info to them, or can give you their phone #.
Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts