Tomatillo

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Jan 17, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Do you like growing this.
    I grew them with tomatoes...obviously for making salsa. Anyone else?

[​IMG]

2. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I love them! They are usually prolific and very easy to grow, and nothing beats homemade salsa verde. Do you get the purple or green ones? I've tried both, had better luck with green for some reason. I saw pineapple tomatillos in the Pinetree seed catalog--has anyone grown them? I was thinking they would make a good sweet and sour sauce.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've grown the green and the pineapple. Didn't care much for the green, tho DD loved them, I really like the flavor of the pineapple and so did DD. I still have seeds and will grow the pineapple again. The tomatilla actually grew better from self sown seeds in my CO garden than it did from transplants. I was surprised because tomatoes that were self sown did not grow well at all.

4. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! We love them. I just wish there was more you could do with them. Planted 6 of them last year. I found out thats a bit like planting6 zucchini :). We had tomatillos coming our our ears! I had no idea they got SO BIG! Live and learn I guess.

Sylvar

5. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I've grown them for two years now. This fall I made around 5 batches of salsa from them. I've never seen the purple ones.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Wow flutemandolin, would love to have your recipe for salsa verde! thanks, sylvia

7. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I don't have it handy, but I'll try to remember off the top of my head. The ingredients were fairly simple: tomatillos, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cilantro, and salt. For a small batch I use 10-12 tomatillos, one jalapeno, 1-2 cloves garlic, and cilantro and salt to taste. Husk the tomatillos and cook in boiling water a few minutes until soft. Drain and let cool. Seed and chop the jalapeno, mince the garlic and finely chop the cilantro. Put everything into a blender and blend for a few seconds. Great with fresh tortilla chips or on scrambled eggs! :)