toilet bowl

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by nwilder, Feb 24, 2005.

1. nwilder

nwilder Active Member

The toilet doesn't flush hard enough. I don't know how to word it. It doesn't suck it down hard enough. And there is not alot of water in the bowl when it fills up. Is there a way to adjust the water in the bowl? Maybe it would flush better if it was fuller. I don't know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

To determine if more water would benefit the flush just take a bucket and pour more into the toilet than you think is in the water closet. That action will simulate having more water. You probably have one of the newer low volume toilets and some of those will not flush satisfactorily regardless.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Basic problem is not the amount of water in the bowl when you start before the flush. The flushing action is primarily determined by the amount of water discharged from the tank and its velocity that is generated within the toilet. In general a siphoning action is set up by a column of water that is very dependent upon the speed at which events occur. Difficult to explain but it sort of acts like a liquid switch.

Therefore most poor flush type problems relate to:

1. Not enough water level in the tank to start the flush.

2. Water in the tank is not released at sufficient speed / volume to make the flush effective.

Some typical solutions are:

1. Raise the tank level by adjustment or modification of the overflow tube. Height of the water is just as important as volume. One old trick is to add a solid object like a brick inside the tank. The same volume of water now maintains a higher water level than before. A number of times, I have corrected toilets by raising the water level say 1 or 2 inches above the indicated waterlevel mark. Usually this requires modifying the overflow tube to increase its height in some manner.

2. Investigate why / how the water is released by the flush lever and if the flapper opens correctly. It is important not to just release the water from the tank but it should happen quickly and generate a particular velocity of flow within the toilet bowl area.

3. Sometimes the flush handle lever / linkages / chains, etc are either improper parts or not adjusted proper.

The actual static water level in the bowl normally only serves to make a water seal to prevent sewer gases / odors from escaping back through the toilet. It is not critical in the flush if everything else works as designed.

Difficult to describe in words how to correct a poorly operating toilet. It is a bit of a feel, watching the action, sounds and a few adjustments and tries until it "Feels, looks and sounds" right.

One thing to check is the toilet very close to being level. Newer low volume flush toilets on badly sloping floors can be problematic even when properly set up and adjusted. Just about all toilets can be made to operate satisfactory with a little work.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

The drain may be partially plugged also. Plunge as much water as you can out and pour a 5 gallon bucket of hot water down as fast as you can. Try to center it so it shoots down. If it doesn't go down very good at it's at least clean enough to put your hand in and check for foreign objects in the first bend. A few buckets would probably give you an idea if the problem is in the tank or the lines.

mikell

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Based on past experience, I'm with mikell on this one. Do you have women at home?...or possibly women that recently visited you? My bet is a tarpoon is hung up in the trap of the toliet. Plunge the toliet with a plunger. if that doesn't work, buy or rent a toliet auger to remove the plug.

6. nwilder

nwilder Active Member

I'am woman. :haha: It may be stopped up, but not with that. Will try all advice tonight. Thanks!

7. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

A problem that causes a slow flush here is when mineral deposits build up in the hole in the front of the flush area just below the waterline. The stream that comes out there starts everything on it's way. When the hole gets shrunken by deposits, not enough water can come out to get things moving. As soon as I clean it out it flushes fine. It may not be your problem, but it's something to check. I also have to clean out the holes under the rim from time to time, although they don't seem to affect things near as much as the main hole in the front.

Nomad

8. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Yup

Anything plugging it is sure to cause problems. Especially something like a Tarpoon altho I am not sure how big those can get. :confused:

Maybe they look something like this. We don't know if this toilet is located in a fresh or salt water environment. Talk about swimming up stream. :eek:

http://www.chaserkeywest.com/

Would you put your hand in there, never know what women may do in a bathroom???? :no:

I had an old girlfriend, the first thing she did after closing the door was flush the toilet. When asked why do this bizzare procedure, she always said "Getting CLEAN water in the toilet made her feel FRESH". Occassionally she did smell a bit fishy. :D

If you are getting scaling that bad must also be horrible with other fixtures. One never wants to pour hot water down a toilet. Melts out the wax seal ring and sure to start leaking on the flange. Can try the toilet tank drop in critters that claim they prevent scale and won't hurt a septic system.

One good solution is periodically replace your toilet. Locally we can buy toilets for like ~ $30 from a discount chain. I used to buy out the inventory. Always took a spare toilet along on calls for problem toilets. Many times easier, faster and cheaper to just replace the entire unit, especially if the problem lady was a bit aged.

9. len

len Well-Known Member

I have a problem with deposits too. Picked up a gallon of the stuff dairy farmers use to remove calcium deposits in milk handling equipment. Sponged out as much water from the trap as I could then refilled the trap with dairy stuff...amazing...now works like new.

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

usually with a tarpoon plug you get the toilet/lateral backing up. wife delt with one new years day .plumber came in rodded the lateral and thought he had it through to the main . wife got there pulled the man holes on the sewer poured water in and when it went past the second hole told the plumber to keep going which he did . pushed enough material out of the lateral to plug the main!home owner was not happy with either the plumbers or the towns bills!! slow flush is either low water,partial plug or plugged vent stack. rod from the roof to ensure the pipe is clear of obstrution.ice birds nests crittersETC. think that pipe is the perfect home!if you are on septic when was the last time you had the tank pumped?

11. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Could be any problem from the top of the toilet to the end of your septic. But here's one possibility.

The holes under the rim are designed to make a swirling action when flushed. If they are partially clogged by deposits, it won't flush as well. Based on stuff I read, I got some muriatic acid at Home Depot - it's sold for swimming pool use in gallon jugs. I forget the details of how to use it - do a search on muriatic acid in toilets and there will be lots of information. In general you drain the water from the toilet bowl and tank, add the acid to the tank so it'll drain through the holes under the rim, and wait a few hours. Of course, it's nasty stuff, so be careful with gloves and eye protection, and don't breathe in the fumes. It really cleans out the toilet. Besides the holes under the rim it'll clean out the big hole in the bottom of the toilet that carries a blast of water from the tank.

Our shower head gets clogged pretty regularly with deposits and I put alittle acid in a half gallon of water, soak the shower head in it for a half hour and it's ready to go.

12. Herb.

Herb. Well-Known Member

If this problem just started happening one day I can relate a recent experience. My youngest daughter had the same problem, I pulled the toilet and found some paper up in it, pulled the paper out everything seemed to work fine, until the next time paper was used at least. Dipped and soaked all the water out of the bowl, put a small mirror in the bottom and with a flashlight was able to see a comb stuck up in there, it was a bugger to get out too. Everything seems to be working well after about a week. There are some toilets that just to not flush well though.