Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to unearth the back of my closet. I pulled out all the clothes that haven't been worn in a while - a great while. Some- never. I looked at each piece and decided if I could change it in some way to make it more wearable or if it was just time to put it in storage.

I made three dresses into skirts. Two long-sleeved shirts into short-sleeved ones. I shortened a long blouse and widened the neck line of two t-shirts.

Then, I cut out four long-sleeved shirts and two short-sleeved ones. I have two of them sewn already and the others waiting until after supper. And I have a jean skirt that I think I am going to make into a bag or two.....

I love a day when I get something done! Anyone else in the mood to sew?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed by how much you got done!

I'm in the mood to sew but have too many other things that need doing too. Right now I'm working on a quilt that needs to be pieced by Christmas. It took me just over 4 hours to piece 6 blocks yesterday. :( Of course, I was also doing laundry, etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey, I am in that mood myself!!!! I recycled two pairs of old jeans, and made a purse and a prairie skirt out of them.

It just gets to me to buy things, unless I really need them. I have found that sometimes crocheted mini-flowers sewed onto an old sweater really brightens it up. Or, a trim sewn around the bottom of a skirt makes it seem like brand new.

Kinda reminds me of an old saying:

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do without.

To me, re-vamping an existing outfit is so rewarding. And, the money savings is great too.

I keep a scrap box of buttons, lace, trims, etc., that I use especially for projects like this.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love sewing clothing. But it takes a while to get me started. Once I get started, it is hard to stop. We can't list our house until after the first of the year now, so I have to DO SOMETHING, while I can't do something towards that goal. My sewing room (computer room, family room, dining room) is a total mess!

Thanks for reminding me about trims. I made a green dress last year - usually I wear browns and blues. I never wore the green - it is a bright green. I made it into a skirt and I think I will look for some trims to match to 'tone it down'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts