Today was the Spring Opener........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Mar 29, 2006.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

for AUCTION season!

Sure, there have been other auctions all winter long but today was the Menonite Consignment auction where EVERYBODY and his BROTHER (and mother and sister) were out to enjoy the sale, the springtime weather and the visiting.

Horses and buggies were lined up on both sides of the hitching rail and us rubber tired folks had to park as fas as 1/2 mile away to get to the auction house.

Tractors, rocking chairs, boats, new black buggies, harnesses, T.V.'s tomatoe plants, donuts.......etc, etc.
    If they didn't have it...you don't need it!

Man, I LOVE auctions!

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

So how do you hear about auctions? Are they posted in feed stores or in the newspaper? Or is it mostly word of mouth? We would love to go to a good country auction to start filling out our homesteading treasure chest, but we just don't seem to be in the loop. We don't even know where to look for the loop so we can be in it.

3. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

Our Sunday paper has a section that lists all the upcoming auctions for the next several weeks. These are adds put in but the auction companies to get more people there. Otherwise, look in the yellow pages and start calling local aution houses and ask were they advertise or see if you can be put on a mailing list. My DH doesn't like me to go to auctions. I always end up with a load of bargins and no place to put them. :hobbyhors

Carrie in SD

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We have couple places that have Auctions every week.But my wife don't like taking me :shrug:

big rockpile

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We have a local "shopper"...............an 8 page freeby newspaper than comes out every week where everything around here gets advertised.

We are 40 miles from a regular newspaper-----and they cater to the city stuff.
    So out "local" covers all of the "local" ads.
    Which churches might be having a sausage and sauerkraut dinner, where the auctions will be, thrift/garage sales.
    Hay for sale, job opportunities, people who offer services in construction, etc,etc.

This Saturday is the Small Animal auction near us.

Next Thursday is the charity auction to raise money for a Wildlife Rehabilitation facilty. It's one of my favorites as then have lots of gift certificates for eating places along with tons of other donated items-----fishing poles, quilts, wildlife carvings and art work, books, a few antiques, etc.,etc.

Then the end of April and beginning of May will be the Amish sales, 3 of them, with lots and lots of new woodworking items and very fancy quilts.

And then, twice a month there is a horse sale--------riding horse sale and then 2 weeks later is the driving/draft horse sale.

Of coarse the end of April, the Produce auction starts up again.
    Its 2 times a week, and when strawberries are ready the sale goes to 3 times a week.
    All the Menonites around here have huge greenhouses and they sell their stuff in bulk---flowers and plants in the spring time, vegtables and fruits later on in the season.

People come buy the stuff and then re-sell most of it at smaller farmers markets or groceries.

ALL of them are great places for "people watching" and doing some visiting and maybe finding a bargan ot 2 along the way!