Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were voted into the VFD last night... Today I guess the hazing starts... I was asked to come up and help unload food for the food give-away they have several times a month.. . (I have actually gone up and helped unload before. That was before we even moved in out here.. )

They are trying to get classes lined up so we can start on our Firefighter 1 courses...

And to think, all I wanted was a radio so I could hear when the cops were coming for me..

:p

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Wish you well . . . . . .

I always tip my hat to the volunteer firefighters here in the country. Long story how two volunteers from fire and rescue Helped me in my time of need.
You will get that radio . . . . . then watch out.........

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
Be careful and stay safe when you head into danger. I'm not quite sure how to say that.

...I hope your VFD days are filled with nothing worse than a brush fire....

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This VFD is pretty lucky. The fire chief and his family are the majority of it.. If it wasn't for them, I don' think we'd have one here, or as much of one.. The roster reads like a family reunion..

I was actually thinking about Darren (mmber here in the forum) last night. He's in the VFD up the road from this one.. .They had a roll over in front of a bar that's owned by our firechief's brother and sister-in-law last night during the time of our meeting... They brought in the life flight for the female in the car...

The people of this community have been very welcoming and good to my wife and me since we bought the place. it's the least we can do to become a part of it and help repay others..

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
You are providing a valuable service to your new community! Just take in everything you can from the training, sooner or later you will find yourselves in dangerous situations.

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Good job. I have been a member of this department for 46 years. I started when I moved here at 12. Been support now for the last 8, mostly for search and rescue but help whenever I can. Just a way to give back and help my community....James

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.... sooner or later you will find yourselves in dangerous situations.
I tend to do that a lot without having to join a FD... If I ain't slidin my tractor sideways down a hill, you better stand back if I grab a chainsaw and start eyeballing some trees I don't like near the house or sheds..

Years ago, the danger was different.. usually with a mouth overloaded with liquor in a bar that got me in trouble.. Glad I quit that..

Now I figure standing in the middle of the road directing traffic as they scrape someone off the road is probably one of the safest things I can do..

Seriously, I've never been in a FD, but I have put out way more than my share of fires, or helped.. and I've pulled a lot more people than I cared out of crashed vehicles and helped save their lives.. Just now I'll have a little more training, and I'll be covered with insurance...

·
Registered
707 Posts
My husband is Asst. Chief on our local VFD - so congrats to you. It can take up a lot of time and then it seems a long time between calls. Volunteers are very important to rural communities - without them many would have next to no emergency services.

Enjoy the school - my husband did.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
https//:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1U4SUkyko"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1U4SUkyko[/ame]

"with a little mouth to mouth she was ready to go " , lol , fordy

·
donnam
266 Posts
You've just found the best way to actually belong to your community. I've been in 15 years as a volunteer and while it can take its toll, it's the most rewarding thing I've ever done. You will see the best and the worst but you will probably grow to love it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.. I'm already enjoying the people.. I've met many of them before, but today was pretty nice working with them and getting to know them... A whole lot of really hard working good people to know.. They sure know how make a person feel welcome without going out of their way to do it..

Today the FD people unloaded the trailer of food that came to the food bank. The FD lets them use the fire department... Tomorrow the food bank people will give it out. A few of them are also department members, but not all..

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
THEM Brush fires will kill ya,
There is a reason Kitten rescues get 4 trucks to respond!
Brush Fires was all I ever worked, up one hill and down the other.

big rockpile

Reactions: BlueRose
1 - 14 of 14 Posts