Today is the day.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pasotami, Dec 6, 2006.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

This morning is an early start - I have 32 ready for butcher. I will get to compare litters now in weight and muscle. This is the time that I really get to figure out which crosses produce the best. I have one doe that usually produces large table weight - I pen raised the bucks this time to see if her litter would out do the other little. So far I have found out that I can cross NZ white back to the NZ white and I'm getting bigger, better carcass weight however I have some NZ/Calf cross does that produce better when bred back to the Calf cross buck. I crossed the Calf cross buck with the NZ and he seems to produce the better cross in the other does even though he is not as large as the Calf buck. I'm going to take my scale with me this time and make sure I get a good record.
    The sun is coming up - got to get on the go. :hobbyhors

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Will be interested to hear what you come up with. I have mutts and NZWs, and so far I can see the mutts don't meat up as well. The next ones to come along are going to be NZW x mutt crosses, so it will be fun to see how they do.

Jennifer

3. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Well - I got a late start for I found a barn door in need of repair so that had to come first....
    All I can say is that I am tired. What I found was that the ones from my Virgina bred Doe (the one that has the largest in numbers) has produced the heaviest in weight when bred to the NZW buck. But I am finding this interesting - I went ahead and butchered some younger ones for they were in the tractor and now it is cold the water to it freezes. The best fryer size was the NZW/Calif cross and not the pure NZW.... they were just a little heavier by about 4 oz. but the build of the muscle was much better, rounder/fuller - really nice back and loin - fronts were a little lacking but no smaller than the straight NZW. So it boiled down to this - if I want roaster size, go with the NZW/NZW cross. If I want fryer size go with the NZW/Calf. cross....
    most of the fryers were in the 3.5 - 4 pound range. The largest roaster I had was just shy of 8 pounds. With 32 that has made a good amount of meat - so tomorrow is canning/freezing. I'll post here what I get out of all of them. (I even can dog/cat food from the parts I do not care for like the rib section)

4. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

4 oz. is really quite a lot. Interesting. I have to start getting more systematic with my set up so I can really see what's going on and cull accordingly. Right now I'm just happy when a doe gets bred and have not gotten to the point yet of keeping records. That's the next step for me.

32 rabbits butchered, you must be tired all right! I know I would be. :)

Jennifer