Today is the day I prove them ALL wrong!!!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TxCloverAngel, Dec 28, 2005.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I have been caring for, loving, playing w/, feeding, and enjoying My pigs ; Sausage (Saucy), Bacon (killed by dogs grrr), & Hot Dog for many months now...

Yes they smell....
    Yes they have terrible table manners,,,
    Yes they dont know the meaning of staying inside ANY pen....

I love them...

They get out of the pen... I am the only one who can get them to follow her in a single file line (only because they know I am the lady w/ eggs in her pocket) into the hen house, so we can crate em and get em back into the pig pen and fix the fence yet again...

I got these pigs to fill my freezer and to have a New Years Eve Pig Pickin...

No one thinks I can do it... DH swears they will die of old age first! lol

Well.... Hot Dog and I are going to take a little trip to the butchers today....
    He will be the guest of Honor at the pig pickin on Sat. ($30 to have “it” done and get him all ready for the big event)

Now…. I’m not saying its gonna be easy…. But I will get it done!!
    No tears…. No changing my mind…
    I don’t care how sweet he looks at me while squealing for my eggs that he just KNOWS are in my pocket…
    I will be strong…. I WILL be strong….. I WILL BE STRONG!!! **sniff**

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I remember when we sold an orphan for butcher....he used to jump on the couch with me and lay next to me like a dog. His name was squirt. I sold him to one of the docs at work who butchered him.

3. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

You can do it!!! I'm going through the same thing with several critters on my farm. Everyone says there is no way I can butcher our turkeys or that we will have to sell our beef calf and buy beef, but I know I can (maybe) and you can too!!
    We roast a pig for a party this summer and it was so YUMMY!! Everyone talked about that party for weeks. (I bought him from a local farmer and they delivered to the butcher) But it made me think about raising a pig, which is why I lurk around this forum some.
    Anyway!! You go girl!! Keep us posted and let us know how yummy he is!

4. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Good Luck. Huggies!!!

5. TxCloverAngel

OK.... I did it! Hot Dog is now at the butchers.

I pick him up on Firday. That might be the hard part lol

But I did it! well.... I took him to someone to "do" it lol

I have had many people ask how I do a Pig Pickin... I also was looking for a "how to" page.. there arent many. (I only found one!) sooooKeep your eyes out.. I'm making a detailed instruction/journal about our first pig pickin It will be online after Sat :)

6. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

I remember when i had to let go for my 1st batch of 4-h pigs..They were pigs that never made a fuss, never ran way from ya..They were so tame..like a dog. Oh i miss them..Oh well..love and let go..
    AJ

Hovey1716, that quote by Wilde is one of my favorites! I have it hanging up at school...Great time

7. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Dana-
    What method are you using? By "pig pickin" I'm thinking pig roast, right? We used the instructions for the Cuban Christmas pig roast. http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html
    But I just Googled "pig pickin" and it looks pretty similar to what we did, but with BBQ sauce instead of the Cuban marinade. If I had known that term it would have helped me during my research. The first two sites on google gave good descriptions.

8. TxCloverAngel

Yep, its about the same thing. and the Cuban Christmas site was the one I found.. and I did find one more too.. oops :) well.. now we'll just add mine to the sparse list :) Wish me luck!

9. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

I went through the same thing just a couple weeks ago. We had one pig that always used to tilt her head and stare, I mean really stare at me when I would talk to her. Almost like she was looking through me. I helped load them up and deliver them to the butcher. They had trouble unloading them and had to use that buzz thing.....I couldnt watch. I walked around the other side of the truck and tried not to listen to them squeal. I didnt like that part! When we picked up the meat I was okay but when I tried to eat it the first time, I felt sick to my stomach. We had ham for Christmas dinner and I ate a small piece. I'm getting better. Just will take some time.

10. SelfSufficientO

SelfSufficientO becky3086

Next time you won't get so close to your pig and the time after you will get even less close. My suggestion is don't even name them and definitly only see them as "meat". Really your mind will adjust. You will start thinking of extra weight as extra meat instead of a healthy pig. This time you did it because people dared you that you couldn't next time will be different.

11. Angie

Angie Well-Known Member

I LOVE animals. We had 5 pigs that we were raising to butcher. Everyone (at least those who don't have a clue) said the same thing."how can you have them killed?" I tell them...I have done everything but sing them to sleep at night for the past 6 months. but after 6 months of being chewed on, cleaning out that pen (nasty!!), having my feeders and waterers destroyed, and hauling food and water, for which none of this they are grateful, it really isn't that hard. And seeing my freezer full is really a great satisfying end to all that work.