Today is a sad day

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by painterswife, Oct 22, 2004.

1. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Almost 18 months ago the sherrif seized 7 horses from someone in our county. There were all starving and in terrible shape. Two had already died and had been left in the corral with all the other horses.

I took on yearling filly. She was in sad shape. Wild small and malnourised.
    Her winter coat was hanging off in patches and there was no new hair underneath. Wormy and terrified of human contact.

It went to court and he was found not guilty. This was because of this small valley and his religious ties. It is over a year since the court case and due to legal wranglings it looks like next week she is going back.

She is now an almost 16 hands high two year old half draft, half quarter horse, who has captured my heart. She is now like a puppy dog who comes when called and would sit in my lap if she would fit. She is gentle and loving and completely trusting. She is an unusally looking sorrel with gray mane and tail, a beautiful combination

She is going back to an owner that has a known drug problem and no money.

My solice is that she is very healthy and suffers no ill effects from her starving. I will make a point of going with the Sherrif and talking one on one with the owner when she goes back. She will be DNA'd for future identification as well as photographed and documented.

I got my first horse only 3 months before she arrived at my door. She taught me many things it would have taken me years to learn with a trained horse. My hope is that we will sell her to cover costs.

Jill

2. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

Make the owner an offer. A true drug addict would take money over a horse. It’s unlikely his drug dealer takes horses as payment.

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Yup, and he'll take way less money than someone who isn't strung out.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................I , would get myself Down to Small Claims Court and File a claim against him for ALL your out of pocket expenses since you have had the Horse then maybe you can get a judgement that you can use as leverage to have him transfer ownership TOO YOU....fordy... :eek: :)

5. painterswife

We have leins in and are going through courts. There has been a bond posted for the lein fee's, that is why the horses must go back.

Offers have been made and refused. We are in a pickle here. He knows how we feel about saving these horses and he thinks we will pay alot.
    As much as we would like to offer lots( and have), it will only reward his bad deeds. We have all spent lots on these horses to bring them back to health. Not one of them would sell for half what has been invested in them in food and vet bills.

I would rather give the horse back and then have someone else offer him what the horse is really worth. I do not want him to profit from my time and effort.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Perhaps you could get someone you know to buy it for you ? Then buy it from then, wink wink?

I sure hope this ends well, for you and horse.

7. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

What a sad story, I hope some miracle happens for you so you get the filly back! I know I would be devestated if I were in your place. Best of luck to you!!!

8. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, wait a short time after the filly goes back and have someone else try to buy her for you...Joan :waa:

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm horrible with money. If she were mine and I felt that way - I would give all I could without regard for rewarding his behavior. his reward is forthcoming with or without your money. I don't mean to sound insensitive. I can certainly feel the emotional rollercoaster this is for you. It is just that- I've spent a great deal on animals and have saved a great deal of them otherwise going to a slow death. Some are not worth saving and I regret I intervened, but there are some that are worth more than gold imo and I don't mind paying paper when I have it. They are my spiritual brothers and sisters. Whatever you do, I hope it is a positive thing for all involved - including you.

10. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

It's so hard to comprehend such evil and greed in the world. As was mentioned we can only hope he gets whats due him in the long run. I would give every penny I had and not worry about his "lesson".

11. painterswife

The Sheriff called. She is schedualed to go in the afternoon. I can go with her to make sure she is fine.

Negotiations are happing as we speak with others trying to buy all the horses. We have settled paert of the leins with the county. They had to pay for part as they seized the horses.

The Vet(who has one of the horses) stopped in and got a blood sample.
    Tommorrow I will be pulling hair for DNA tests.

I spent 1/2 an hour this evening scratching her all over. She enjoyed every minute.

We have been told that he has no hay on his property and his fence is not even in repair. I will be checking it all out tommorrow.

Jill

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............................Jill , I sincerely HOPE that all goes well for you and your BEST friend . It, maybe that HE will have to display his total lack of concern a second time to convince the judge to put a stop to his antics . Really , the LESS prepared he is the stronger your case will be to disinfranchise his credibility before the court for a final resolution in your favor....fordy...

13. queenb64

queenb64 New Member

[maybe that filly will remember the jerk and give him so much agony he will give her to ya>

In Jesus name you'll get that horse!!!!!

14. painterswife

The Sheriff called again! He was told that the lawyers came to some kind of agreement. That we bought the horses. I have no idea what has happened, who is paying ( I can't).

It looks like there may be someone in Jackson WY( an hour away) who put up the money to buy the horses. I will update you as I know.

Right now I think I am doing the "Happy Dance"

Jill

15. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

painterswife

I'm so happy for you and for the horse.

I've been reading this from work today and wishing you well..

That horse had truely been given a decent chance...

:dance: Happy Dancing with you :dance:

AngieM2

16. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Hey RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!
    The thread was quite a bummer until the end thats some fantastic news. Animal cruelty enrages me and makes me so sad its nice to hear a successful rescue story. Glad it worked out for you but I bet you coulda done without the suspense and drama eh??? Go hug yer horse hehe

17. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

I was sad too when I started reading this a few minutes ago... NOW I'm happy. Yippee, good luck.

18. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

19. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

YAY!!! But too bad she couldn't go back just long enough to kick him into the next county! :haha: :dance:

Chris

20. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter