Tobasco Sauce

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kee Wan, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

:help:After battling with a variety of bugs in teh gaden this sumer - and having something eat all my leaves and generally make a mess of things - mom said that she read somewhere that you can get tobasco sauce by the gallon and spray it on and it will repell the bugs.

So - anyone ever heard of this? doe sit work? Don't the plants uptake some of that 'flavor' and get a little tobasco flavored?

Oh and suddenly my tomato plants have spots on all the leaves - soem leaves seem completly taken over and others just have a couple of spots. Is ths a normal season-end things - or did my plants"catch" something? And - is there anythign I can do?

Thanks
    :monkey:

2. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Kee-Wan, I so appreciate your enthusiasm to the gardening cause. It also works very well, to every yr. you grow your own hot peppers...save some. Dry them. Then you can grind up and mix up your own brew instead of buying it.

3. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

1 gallon Tabasco, only thing is it's $35 a gallon.
    I agree with Dlangland, grow some habernaro plants and save the fruit for the insect spray.

Will

4. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Thank you, Will. So rarely do I ever manage to say anything right here, or so it seems..,.Sometimes I wonder why I bother. I appreciate that thought. Thank you. Deb

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

As already stated I would start growing some hot peppers for insect control. Before I had some of my own I bought cayenne pepper. They have it at wal-mart for 2 bottles for a dollar. You can make a tea or in some cases sprinkle it around dry. The cayenne is not as strong as Habnero but it does work. We use the seed from the peppers for insects and eat the flesh of the peppers ourselves.

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I got a gallon at the Sav-a-Lot store for like 6$. It was the Louisana hot sauce, a cheaper imitation of the Tobasco brand. I got my gallon for doing shots...I don't really drink much alcohol at all...but I do like to drink tobasco/LO hot sauce... cleans my sinus's up...

7. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

Thanks all.....

This year i grew some jalapeno peppers. I hav lots that have not been used - and more still to come off the plant. Would these work - or aren't they hot enough?

If these aren't hot enough - where can I get habenero seeds - or starts?

:bow:

8. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I bet they'll be plenty hot enough. The hottest peppers I grew this year were Anaheims. I went ahead and used them to make a spray with garlic and a bit of oil and soap. It was strong enough that all the squash bug nymphs in my garden were dead within and hour or two (didn't bother the adults, though).

9. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think the hot pepper spray will work on horn worms tho. I grew habanero, jalapeno and thai dragon pepper this year and the horn worms were eating the leaves and peppers and I had to pick them off by hand to save any of the plants