Tobacco as wormer?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sullen, Sep 26, 2006.

1. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I found a home for an extra Buff Orp roo, the lady comes over, sees my new goat and tells me to give her broken off tobacco sticks (no filter) to worm her. Now I have heard what they put in tobacco, I want to know more before I do it.
    Anyone ever heard of this?

2. TC

TC Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell you if it works or not, but my husband and I both smoke and if leave our ciggs out for a second I have a goat who will steal one within a second. She will eat it and spit out the filter, before anyone can catch her. She also seeks out used cigs from the ground. She is the healthiest goat I have ever had and I have never had to worm her ever, even after kidding!

3. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

It will worm your goats.

But as Sullen mentioned, the stuff they add to the tobacco these days, prolly not something you want in your goats. (Prolly not something you want in you either. :baby04: )

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I've got a doe that does that too. She will snatch a cig right out of my husbands pack. She has always been my healthiest too. Never thought much about the tobacco... :rolleyes:

5. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Both my grandfathers said that your could use tobacco to worm a goat. Seems as though I read that this was not true though. I do know that my grandfather would take and spit on some tobacco if we got a bee or wasp sting and rub it on the sting. It would stop hurting very fast and would swell very little. Maybe what I read about tobacco not working as a wormer might not be ture.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I have no idea, if tobacco would worm anything, but it is a common old wives tale!

7. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

I smoke and have never had worms either! Not real healthy, but I've never had worms bye-golly!

When I was a boy, my grandfather would worm the coonhounds by shoving a penny down their throats. If we only knew for sure, we could save a fortune!

8. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Some of the old horsemen that used to hang around when I was a kid..gave their horses a part of a plug of tobacco to worm them.

I too have goats that seem to love a cigerette.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The nicotine will kill worms but youre supposed to use tobacco leaves, not cigarettes.

10. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I am reading this and I am just astounded...lol I know, I am so not in the know just yet. As you all know, I have had a terrible problem with worms here in Mississippi. I am now using Cydectin, but I want to know more about this tobacco thing. Now, I can't get just the leaves here, but if someone was going to try it with cigarettes, how often do you do it? Is it just like once a month or something? So, do you just give them one cigarette to eat??? What kinds of worms does it kill? I only have 9 goats, so this would be inexpensive for me and if it would cover some of the worms that Cydectin does not, I would love to try it once every few months or something. I need some advice experts..... Thanks.. :help:

11. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

Have already done the research on using nicotine to worm ruminents.I did this many moons ago,though. BUT, big but here.....it is only effective against minor parasites, pins,rounds, not your major problem parasites such as brown stomach worm,barberpole worms,ect. Ground tobacco(cigs and skoal) are also not as effective as "leaf tobacco" (cotton boll twist,Levi Garrett,ect). There was also no known dose,so you are taking a chance of nicotine poisioning.
    My suggestion....with the price of tobacco now days, stick to wormers that have been proven to work on minor & major parasites in ruminents.
    Kaye

13. Dale in Ar

Dale in Ar Well-Known Member

when I was a youngster,an old man who always rode a horse would come into my uncle's store and buy a jar of Garrett snuff.One day I ask my uncle what he did with the snuff,since you never seen him dip it.My uncle replyed that he gave it to his horse for worms about once a month.He had a healthy looking horse.

14. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

IF you were thinking of worming with tobacco. Theres a site www.makeyourowncigs.com that has loose tobacco. I believe..but I'm not positive..it is grown without as much chemicals sprayed on or added to the tobacco. Just a thought.

ps..I just went over there and indeed, they do NOT use chemicals or additives. We switched to this .. not for the goats..lol..for us.

15. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Thanks you guys for the info......The girl I was talking with might show up in here, if she does, give your info to everyone......