tobacco as a wormer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mamasaanan, Jul 24, 2005.

1. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

This is going to sound crazy but this neighbor lady of ours swears that she feeds her goats and mules a plug of chewing tobacco once a month and she hasn't had a problem with worms since.

Now I can see how the worms would avoid the tobacco since I find the whole idea absolutly gross. Not to mention I have dairy goats. Would tobacco effect the flavor of the milk. It can't be good for animals, since I know what the stuff does to humans.

So does this work or has she just been really fortunate that none of her animals have worms?

:help: :help: :help:

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I don't know from experience if it really works, but I DO know a lot of old-timers swear by it.

3. poppy

poppy Guest

It DOES work. I have chewed for years and NEVER have had worms. :D

4. emke

emke Well-Known Member

From my experience it works for pigs. The first time we had pigs my DH fed them some tobacco. When we butchered them they had no worms, because I was able to use the intestines as a sausage casing.

I am thinking the taste may come out in the milk though, because whatever a human mother eats gets passed to the milk. Just my guess, anyway.

5. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

There ya go, poppy! You could have your milk AND your tobacco at the same time! :D

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Hey, maybe that's how you could get your kids to drink their milk! A whole pack of milk a day :D

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

My grandad used to worm puppies with snuff mixed in canned dog food. It seemed to work, but I wouldn't try it on inside dogs...it was a little messy!

8. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Waaayy back when I was growing up, we'd give some to our horse. The opinion held by the oldtimers was it'd kill worms. Ole Billy Joe did like the stuff, and seemed to like Red Horse brand best....he he he
    Seriously, we did feed it occasionally..Margo