Tobacco as a wormer?????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamasaanan, Sep 15, 2004.

1. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

May 2, 2004
    I hadn't heard this one before but people around here swear by it and I want a few more opinions before I go out and buy a plug of Brown Mule.

According to the locals, the best wormer for horses, pigs, donkey's and goats is a big old plug of tabacco administerd once a month. Now the whole idea of putting this in anythings mouth is just totally gross, especially since there can't be a worse habit anywhere, but will this work? Has anyone else ever heard of this or is this just one of those 'southern thangs'?
  2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    North of Houston TX
    After a neighbor started passing this information around, I sent a letter into a major goat publication and ask Dr. Joan Bowen, who has a column in there, how effective worming with tabacco is. She is a very well known small ruminant vet, for UC Davis. To adequately kill worms the dosage of nicotine the goat would have to have would also kill the rumen. So in essense the medicine would kill the goat before the worms would :) So no, worming with tabacco isn't going to work.

Please don't kill the messenger. We all want stuff like this to be true, and sadly it's the kind of care alot of goats get. Vicki

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan 24, 2003
    There is "fiberglass" or DE in chewing tobacco....and goats will readily eat it as it is sweetened..... I have not personally used it on the goats but my husband is hooked on the stuff....wintergreen long cut! And yes it is disgusting.....