To Uncle Will in IN and any other Hoosiers

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Christina R., Jan 10, 2005.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about you with all the flooding. Are you and your property okay? We've been hit hard too (with more coming tomorrow). Hope you are staying high and dry.

2. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Chris,
    We sit on a hillside, built into the hill. We do get a little water in on the
    1st floor when it really rains. I just clean it up with the Wet-'r-Dry Vac,
    3 gal. at a time. Emptied that sucker 31 times last week. Mop, mop.
    We had 6 & 3/4 inches of rain in 72 hours. Another half inch over the weekend
    mostly in snow. Too much water.

Our road was closed by high water, for three days. A few cars got hung up or drowned out in it. We could get down to Spencer though.
    Lots of property under water down in Spencer IN. White River way over flood
    stage. 14 ft. over I think

DSW got her Ranger P/U into a flooded ditch. It's down at Bloomington. It was
    running when she ran it in. Engine is filled up with water. Thank the Gods for
    Insurance, hunnh.She's driving a rental.
    More on the way, starting tomorrow.

Fun, Fun, FUN!

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The ground is gently rolling where we live. No one builds in the lower ground that will fill with water when we get lots of rain. Most of this low ground is farmed, and has networks of field tiles carrying the water to open ditches that run to the rivers. We get hundeds of little low land lakes in heavy rainfall, but it goes away without doing any damage in most cases. Where ever a road crosses a low place, the road is built up to keep it higher than the flooding. When we get lots of expensive damage is when the ground has a crop growing there that gets drownd out.

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

My folks between Richmond and Muncie got heavy ice and were out of power for about 12 hours. We just had snow, here. But we are just about on the MIchigan state line.

ann

5. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

It's something how you start thinking about the people on this board and wondering how their impacted. I wish I could meet so many of you in person (and your animals too!!!). We are as close to the Grand Canyon as you can get, so you all have an invitation to spend the night and get a jump start on your trip to the canyon. Sounds like right about now you could use it to funnel some of that water into, Old John.

6. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I'm here in crown point and have a basement (old cinder block). When they built the first section (80+ yrs ago) apparently they neer heard of drain tile and the additions must have kept the same philosophy. I've changed out all of the sump pumps and just added one to a section that didn't have one. Just add 30 ft and shoot it out from the house and it flows down to the pond.

I'm hoping to get enough time to add the drain redirectors (like floorboard but PVC and drains into sump pump) for areas of wall that leak.

I wouldn't trade this place for $1,000,000.

Dan

7. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I'm southwest of indy about 35 miles or so. there is a creek about 100 yards from my house but I sit on a hill and i think the whole state would have to flood before it touched me :)

my neighbors across the street however.....several times the last couple of weeks they've had to leave their vehicles out by the road and walk the drive up to their house (over a quarter mile) because their drive crosses the creek and though it's a concrete bridge it gets under water, too deep for a car to cross. the house itself is up on a hill though so I'm sure it's high and dry. a couple of days ago the creek was way up over it's banks but now is at least contained. may not be in the morning after all this additonal rain !

my parents volunteer with the redcross and have been out a couple of times this week at areas on the southwest side of indy around 465 helping with flood victims there.

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

MEL, Are your neighbors wadding the high water over their bridge? How far is it across it for one side to the other? Is the water moving much? Do they have a tractor that they could go through it with?
    Inquiring minds want to know? Seems like that water would be a mite chilly.
    We had another heavy rain last night and the 10 inch snow we had is nearly all melted in the last two days. It's up around 60 this afternoon. I have several acres of prime canoe racing property.