Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with your day?

I work 2 days a week in a local art gallery but am home 3 other week days, including weekends. Weekends are always full with activities so I'm rarely online, but when I'm not working during the week, I spend my mornings online then use the afternoon hours to work in the garden, paint, or sketch before making dinner, that is if I'm not already baking which is another thing that I really love to do. So for you lucky folks who get to stay home, what is your routine? If you follow one, that is?

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I spend a lot of my time on the computer! Here's my routine:

Get up, feed cats, fix breakfast. Watch Jeopardy (I tape it) while eating breakfast.

Prepare hubby's lunch for work and iron his clothes.

Do a little housework, etc. and take computer breaks when I starting hurting (Fibromyalgia/arthritis/chronic bursitis/two ruptured discs in lower back).

About 6-7 p.m. I take the dogs out for a walk to the pond and I fish for a while. Take my catch to the duck, give chickens/duck kitchen scraps and fresh water. Work in the garden until it's dark.

Come in about 8:30 and get online again until my back isn't hurting. Shower and cook supper for hubby.

That's a basic day for me.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm self employed, so I do work but the nature of my work causes me to be extremely busy some days and some days have nothing to do at all. So what do I do on days when I don't work? I take care of the poultry which might mean scrubbing their waterer, cleaning the henhouse and putting down more hay, letting them out to run around the yard. Right now I have chicks so they have to be fed and watered and poopy papers changed a couple times a day. Then I have my gardens, vegetables and fruit. I try to do a walk through every day to look for insects that need killing and ripe vegs that need picking. Fruit trees are minimal care, just spraying once or twice a year with dormant oil. Maybe mulch or weed a bit. Mow the grass and weed-eat. Deadhead flowers. I propagate a lot of plants, and that is quite a bit of work sometimes. Water stuff. Feed stuff. The house always needs something done to it, right now I need to clean the siding. Need to finish putting down baseboards and window trim. Always have a project going too, have started converting one of the covered porches into a summer kitchen and sleeping porch. I've always wanted a setup like that.

I am giving serious thought to breeding a few kinds of poultry and selling locally, on a small scale. So that will eventually entail more work.

There is always something to do that is constructive and worthwhile if you make it so.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to add that I make DH's lunch and then clean the house. That's always first before I log on!

I'm sorry to hear about your back, Rl. My first husband had 2 ruptured disc in his back and it wasn't fun. Even sitting was hard for him without a lumbar cushion. :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RoseGarden said:
There is always something to do that is constructive and worthwhile if you make it so.
Right! I have 2 very large piles of Garden Gate magazines to go through yet. I've been saying for 4 days that I need to sit and skim through them at least. Today I intend to. Then there is an old milkcan that I want to decoupage and 2 large wood post to paint for the enclosed porch. Grapevine out back to cut...Oh, I have tons of things I could do. There is ALWAYS something.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Me I get up and make breakfest. I get on the computer while I am eating. Then I do some housework and mess around maybe watch a tv show or something.
I do some laundry and then I come back to the computer for alittle while.
Then I start dinner.
Hubby comes home and we just hang out or run to the store or his moms

( I dont make him luch for work because he dosent eat it, got tierd of making it for him to just toss it. He says he doesnt have time to take a break to eat sooo. What are ya gonna do)

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Cresindo said:
I forgot to add that I make DH's lunch and then clean the house. That's always first before I log on!

I'm sorry to hear about your back, Rl. My first husband had 2 ruptured disc in his back and it wasn't fun. Even sitting was hard for him without a lumbar cushion. :(
Thanks. I have good days and bad. Seems like lying in bed is the worst thing though. That really gets my back to hurting!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When dd, 5, is not in school, most of my day is spent with her. When she isn't...

6:00 up watching local news and fiddling on the computer and drinking my coffee.

6:45 get lunches made

7:00 get dd's uniform and school stuff ready

7:30 out the door for dh and dd

clean the house/laundry/dishes/etc until about 10:00

catch up on email

11:00 lunch for mom and myself

afternoon - prepare dinner (always from scratch, so usually takes at least 2 hours preparation)

2:00 leave to pick up dd from school, which is 2 hours round-trip . Home at 4:00 ish

5:00 tea time

7:00 supper

8:00 bed time for dd, who takes at least an hour to get ready for bed an asleep (she still co-sleeps)

Gardening, yard work, sewing, reading, etc. gets in there at some point.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I work sporadically lately, sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes not at all.

I get up just as DH leaves the house (makes his own lunch and always stops for a takeaway coffee and a bagel on the way into work. I couldn't do that everyday, but it's his own little routine and he likes it.) Put on my breakfast, shower, feed the dogs, water the plants, throw on a load of laundry, eat while I check my e-mail and HT.

And after that it's *phone calls*. We're moving a house out to our land at the end of the summer so it's hours of phone calls every morning. To the utility companies, the city, the RM, the lumberyards for quotes and orders, the concrete guys, the building movers, the bank and then it starts all over again getting back to people and taking return calls. I swear, when we finally get out there I'm considering breaking the ringer on the phone and taking out every number but the 9 and the 1.

Then it's housework, putter a bit with some craft bit or other, lunch, weeding and watering, take the dogs for a walk/swim, errands, then get back home and plan what to have for dinner.

The evening is spent on recon with the DH, enjoying a meal and winding down with a movie or a tv show.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well, I am not really disciplined about staying on schedule...but this is what I am supposed to do during the week. It changes if we are on break from school or DH (who has a crazy work schedule) is around.

get uparound 8, have my quiet time/devotion/Bible Study
get showered/dressed
wake kids, make bed, put in some laundry while kids dress, make their beds
make breakfast, eat w/ kids, do dishes
get online/ outside chores w/ kids
do school (kids are HSed)
have lunch and a little free time
fold clothes/do daily cleaning
kids' quiet time/my project time (sewing, organizing, painting)
outside time w/ kids, go for walks/work with animals, etc. If it's raining play agame
***sometimes this is when we are having to be out for any shopping, dance, 4H
Kids get baths while I have some down time
Read together if Dad isn't home yet
Cook dinner while they watch TV, sometimes they help
Eat dinner, have some family time, put kids to bed, have some hubby time
sit up and do filing, paperwork, go on computer
crash about 1-2 am

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
I'm retired & everyone (former co-workers, etc) said I'd never stay retired, that I'd go nuts. (already there but that's another post)

Turns out I love it! I can be as busy as I want or as lazy.

Get up, straighten kitchen if need be then walk the dog for 20 min.

Go to HT!!

Read the paper.

Yard/garden.

Laundry.

Write some letters, answer email.

TV, catch a HGTV or 2. I tape old Password shows, Dr Pill.

Go to the market if need be, make dinner.

If you read all this, you're bored! :) Not really. I love reading HT posts.

Patty

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tricky Grama said:
If you read all this, you're bored! :) Not really. I love reading HT posts.
Patty
No, not bored at all! :nono:
There are alot of interesting post here today. I'm feeling guilty though at being on here so long. It's 1:05 now and the pile of mags that I keep pushing off are calling me. I best go tackle them. :)

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
After working for 12 straight yrs., I am now enjoying my retirement ! I ususally get up around 6:30 and feed the dogs and put them outside. Take the sheets off my bed and remake it. Then take a shower. Start clothes, then it's off to the yard or garden. I bring in the veggies and put them downstairs where it's nice and cool. Check HT and catch up on email. Then vacuum, dust and/or what ever house work I want to get done (some days it's clean refg./stove, do ironing or bathe dogs. Then check HT again. Then I begin canning/freezing my veggies or fruit. Dh isn't home for two days in a row and I usually do very little cooking of meals. On the days he is here I cook b'fast, lunch and dinner. I will work until 9:30 -10 shower and get ready for bed.
Once a week I meet or take one of my children or a friend to lunch! On this day I will do my errand, bank, groc store, hair, car repair or service, etc.
Once a month, I have my garden club and beekeepers club meetings. It's going to be different this winter because the garden will be gone. But I will quilt, sew, knit, scrapbook and or take a class! I think I will vol. at the Animal Advocates and help raise money for their free spay and neuter clinics..

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I am temporarily unemployed right now, and loving every minute of it! :D

Let's see, this morning I got up at 5:30 with DBF, made the bed, worked on my resume (Monday is job-hunting day!), dressed, showered, headed out to my farm ... moved the ram (he's on a picket), cleaned up the cow yard, moved their stock tank and round bale feeder, moved some pallets around, hauled a load of square bales, stacked and tarped the hay, fed and watered the livestock, hauled and spread a truckload of bark mulch for my new garden, picked some blackberries and cut flowers, moved the ram again, drove home, took another shower, started some laundry and put away some things I'd brought back from the farm ... now I'm playing online until DBF comes home. Usually I'd be making dinner, but he is bringing home a PIZZA! :sing:

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
If by "work," you mean at a job that gives me a paycheck, I don't work. DH makes the money, and I work here to save as much of it as possible.

My job is to run "the farm." I make DH's lunch, do laundry, take care of the animals, maintain the yard, garden, pay bills, *try* to keep the house in livable order (I'm not very good at that, LOL), run errands, maintain/repair vehicles and other machines, etc. And then there's the 8 billion or so projects I have going on here since we just bought the place last summer - barn repair, fence installation/repair, building a chicken house, building a run-in shed for the horses, getting the poison ivy under control, erosion control by the creek, planting trees (firewood, windbreaks, view screens, fruit trees, etc.) and fruit, cleaning up trash from previous owners (yes, still... :rolleyes: ), home repair, renovate the hay field and pasture, keep unpacking...

And yeah, sometimes I spend more time here on HT than I should... :eek:

I work hard, but you know what? I LOVE it. I'd rather work here every day until my back is screaming and my fingers are bleeding than go back to working in an air-conditioned office. And there's the added benefit of not having to pay for a gym membership to stay in shape! A farmer's wife told me the other day, "Wow, you've got really big muscles for someone who's not a professional body builder!" LOL.

And I'm SO lucky to have a DH that can support both of us, and who truly appreciates everything I do around here. I thank my lucky stars every day for that!

·
Premium Member
9,251 Posts
Raking the lake when I'm not working 10 hr Hospice nurse shifts- feeding the fish (BWA HA HA! I have the power of FOOD over you fishies!) and reading comix and manga.
When summer ends will return to gardening...

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I have no routine, which is a problem. The other issue for me is as soon as I try to develop one, my health issues act up and sabotage my efforts.

What I used to do when I wasn't disabled was get up, swim laps for an hour, dress for work/school, jog or rollerblade half of lunch hour, and spin on a wind trainer for 20 minutes to an hour in front of the TV at night. Plus all the other usual tasks of working and keeping house.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.