Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking some nice lambs to auction house on Mon and am wondering if shearing them so their condition is easy to see will up the price per pound?

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
no knowledgeable response to your answer....

but do you have to pay to shear them or are you doing it yourself? If you do it yourself, do the results look decent? If you do it yourself and it looks good, my hunch would be that it would be worth it. Sheared animals always look well cared for and perhaps even pampered. I would think they'd stand out and that could only help.

Again, no hands on experience. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If they sell by the pound dont shear them. It add's more wieght, wich means more cash in your pocket. But then again if it looks better it might sell better too...

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I always shear anything I'm selling. They look clean and tidy and the purchaser has a better idea of what he's buying. If your not going to shear, at least crutch them and get rid of any daggy bottoms you might have.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, wife says if I shear them I'll be all crippled up again, but I felt them for condition and they are Prime and Choice grades. Just want to get all I can for them.

·
FourCountryGals.com
149 Posts
No one in this area shears lambs that are less than one year old. The buyers can tell what's in condition and what isn't, so there's no need to go to the extra work.

I tell the story of sending our little "ram lambs" to auction, and the amazing outcome at my farm blog. We pretty much did everything wrong and had unexpected results. It's well worth the read.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I sold them with wool on, on the 4th of Dec and got as high as $1.24/lb on 95-99 lb lambs, the 100-110 lbers brought 1.19, just wanted to give an update. And as usual, my wife was right, my back wasn't sore from shearing.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
...I knew him well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts