to much MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with extra milk. Our milk cow is giving about 5 gallon a day. I would like to sell some but some one said that there might be some kind of regulations about it. We live in a rural community in Arkansas.
    Thanks a bunch.

2. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

Get a pig!

I wish I had this problem of yours.

3. make cheese--make butter--feed the chickens--raise another calf or 2 to sell--I also wish I had this problem! Lynet

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I can extra milk to bottle feed kids or calves later.
    (But that's a lot of milk! :) )

5. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

You can always cut back on her feed and stop milking her out all the way till she slows down to a manageable amount for you. It also helps to just milk once a day.

6. bantams

bantams Well-Known Member

Here are the regulations for selling milk in your state:
    "Arkansas - Raw milk sales are illegal with the exception of on-farm sales directly to the consumer of raw goat's milk. "Incidental sales of goat milk not prohibited," the law states. Incidental sales are defined as ". . . those sales where the average monthly number of gallons sold does not exceed one hundred (100) gallons." "
    I would go ahead and sell the milk even if it is from a cow. What a stupid law! If you want to be on the safe side, set up a cow share program so the customers are part owners of the cow, so they can legally have the milk.
    You can visit my website for what I do:
    http://bantams.the-kozaks.com/Creamery

7. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

Cow Shares aren't legal in every state. If you get caught it could cost you dearly. In IL it's legal to sell milk on the farm if the customers bring their own container. In some states you have to label the milk 'for pet consumption only'.

We feed our extra milk (after butter, cheese, yogurt, ice cream & soaps) to the pigs and poultry. Paul is hoping for a heifer calf soon.

8. Feed Pigs with it. Feed chickens with it. Can it. Freeze it. Cheese it. Drink it. Milk has many uses. If you have extra you are luck. Don’t worry. Be happy!

GOT MILK?