To Mount or not to Mount?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Some friends of ours maintain 6 sows for feeder pig production. They have an interest in purchasing a young Boar from us. Assuming normal growth and good health, at what age is a young Boar ready to go into service?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

A boar of any breed is usually capable of doing the deed at between 6 and 8 months of age - but whether he can reach is another matter :) if he looking at full grown sows - looking maybe all he can do. :help:

As a generality, I don't expect my young boars to achieve too much before a year old when they have got some size on them and can both reach and deal with the sow's aggressiveness as she comes into heat. I also try and put myself into the position of not having to wait around for a boar to gain maturity.

Is the neighbour wanting one of these little Herefords? In that case tell them to be patient and wait because it will be worth it. Give him that message from a drooling Kiwi :Bawling:

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Up North

It's a boar out of my Duroc sow that has Hereford markings from his dad. I think he's pretty impressive. I think he thinks the same. He is a very confident little guy.

Heather

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Up North,
    Are your friends aware that multiple breedings will tend to produce additional pigs in a litter?

5. Up North

They currently own a run of the mill Boar, and produce 10+ litters. They are just looking to plan for future to raise Boar to replace him. Their opinion was that the father of this Boar was much better than one they have at present.
    I should mention they strictly produce feeder pigs for folks to raise home meat, no showpigs or purebred stock for breeding.

Agman are you suggesting they should run 2 Boars? ..Thanks