To late this year but....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HowdyYall, Sep 1, 2006.

1. HowdyYall

HowdyYall Member

How in the world do i keep the bugs from eating all my fruit? I must have 20 or more fruit trees on my property. Apple, pear, peach, plum etc etc and evry single one of them is filled with holes from ants and other insects. I think its a lost cause but its so sad to lose all that fruit! I hate insecticides but I may have to huh?

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

The ants are protecting and consuming the honeydew from the aphids and scale insects. When that sugar breaks down on the plant it will be black and is called sooty mold. Take care of the scale and aphids and the ants will go away unless you get a damaged piece of fruit. Unless the ants are the wood eating type. Use a dormant oil in the winter. It will smother all of the overwintering insects and eggs that are on the bark. It is not a poison. But it goes a long way to control many different types of insects.

3. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Ditto what woodspirit said. Dormant oil helps a lot. You really notice its working year two of using it in a bad infestation.

A few bugs don't hurt the canning process you know. Just more protein.

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

get used to eating either bugs or chemicals. i know of no middle ground with most fruit trees. the oil will help some but will not get them all.