To Goat, or Not To Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by verminclature, Aug 26, 2005.

1. verminclature

verminclature Well-Known Member

I control pasture chickens over six acres. The chickens selective eating has caused my field to over grow with undesirables (golden rod, fern, and other non-grasses). The frequent refrain I hear is, "get a goat". First, is this a practicle solution? Second, what is the best type of goat in terms of hardiness that will require little maintenance beyond basic husbandry? I don't necessarily want to milk or shear. Realizing Jacobs are NOT goats I thought that their uniqueness might bring some profit if I were to breed them as well as keep the feilds under control...are there goats better suited? Any opinion is welcome. I will have to study my options this winter before I even THINK about taking on any more animals.

2. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

If you don't want to feed over winter, in the spring, get some just weaned (from a farm not an auction) castrated boys ( meat type) and raise them through the summer and then sell them in the fall to individuals. Selling at auction and paying comission will eat all/most your profits. Here, commision runs $5/hd.

Wethers are easy to care for should not need suplimental feed unless your pastures are in really bad shape. Then grass hay will be enough. Just make sure you I.D. the plants you want the goats to eat correctly. There are some plants goats won't/ should not eat.

If you seed your pasture in the winter w/ winter wheat you might be able to extend your goat raising season.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I agree with the part about auctions, my mom sold two boys for 45 dollars apeice and after all the auction costs came back with 20 dollars for the both of them.